Gbodyparts 3" downpipe + cat?

chicago

Chitown
All,

Currently have a stock downpipe, stock (gutted) cat, and hooker exhaust installed on car.

Purchased 3" downpipe and test pipe from Brian, but have not yet installed. Live in a state where we need to have inspections done every year (thankfully I only have 4 more until my car is considered an antique - that's scary too!).

In order to remain stock appearing, has anyone installed the Gbody dp and a gutted/"high flow" cat in order to look stock, but run pass through? If so, what did you do? Ideas for how to look legit? Don't want to keep taking on and off. thanks in advance.

I dont have a Gbody piece, but I do have a 3" downpipe with gutted cat. I passed a So Cal smog with that and blue tops, but I did have a working EGR.

All,

Currently have a stock downpipe, stock (gutted) cat, and hooker exhaust installed on car.

Purchased 3" downpipe and test pipe from Brian, but have not yet installed. Live in a state where we need to have inspections done every year (thankfully I only have 4 more until my car is considered an antique - that's scary too!).

In order to remain stock appearing, has anyone installed the Gbody dp and a gutted/"high flow" cat in order to look stock, but run pass through? If so, what did you do? Ideas for how to look legit? Don't want to keep taking on and off. thanks in advance.

In my wicked youth I had a friend weld me up a fake looking cat out of sheet metal for my old 85 Monte SS, and even with no cats that car passed the Marylan Emissions Test with flying colors each time.

All he did was wrap some sheetmetal around it and weld it into place, it didn't really look like a real cat, but those checkers are so complacent I don't even know if they "look look" while they hold that little mirror down there.

If you want a nice high flow random technologies makes a bad a$$ one. Its not hard swapping cats yearly though so why not do it? Unless you have those stupid smog vans...
as for buying gutted cats. Buying any cat used is highly illegal (unless you buy it for recycling of precious metals) your best bet would be to buy a cheapo and do it yourself. But thats illegal too :-P

I simply went to midas and had them weld a flange on the front of the cat and the back of the downpipe. Took 2 minutes to change from a off road pipe to the cat for our yearly inspections down here. 6 months later they got rid of inspections. :mad: :biggrin:

Kirbans sells the direct replacement 3" cat. I purchased one and gutted it...fit was perfect.