gas to alky

turbodragster

hey cal its barry and bob we are in the process of switching from gas to alky and you information has been great here is a pic of what we have done so far, notice the 5 in spacer invention. hopefully it will work, with your help im sure it shouldn't be too big of a challenge. we are looking for the 6.20's and we could not even of thought about that with out your help.

thanks cal

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 325
Thought about moving the IAT sensor down? maybe behind the intake?

Looking good.. need 2x what you run in fuel for alky :)

Wow! Very nice. That could be the fastest 6 cylinder on the planet. Let me know when you run it again, I want to be there.

I would suggest working up with it very carefully. Without an intercooler, your charge air temp is going to be high. You can richen the mixture for cooling, but then your ignition system will have to be up to firing that rich mixture. If you experience miss-firing and you know you are way rich, try leaning it out slightly until the miss-firing dis-appears. Check your O2 and make sure your not too lean. Combustion chamber temps are very critical with alcohol. Don't go to the line with the engine too hot. 120 to 140F works for me, but then, I'm intercooling.

Keep this in mind! Alcohol does not detonate!!! It will not give you a warning that you are at the pre-ignition threshold. You will just be in it, and I have yet to meet anyone who can get there foot out of it fast enough. It is nasty. Things break very fast. It sounds like a real bad rod knock and by the time you recognize it, it's too late. Your picking up pieces off the track. Be careful. Keep that nice machine in one piece.

I was kinda wondering if a turbine outlet pipe that curved up and back, zoomie style, wouldn't give you a little extra downforce and traction?

John

Barry,

Crazy swede here.... ;)

What a big hole in the chassie after removing the IC!

You only have 1 set up of injectors? Will this be enough?

And..... what do you have on the top of the intakepipe?

For me it looks like an old bike carburator?

Good luck and hope to see you guys in the low 6's!

hey swede there are six more injectors in the spacer plate between the elbow and manifold we have not run the lines yet but they are individual injector holders and for the bike carb. its a turbonetics surge valve for when i lift the throttle.

well are little spacer invention didnt burnevenly enough to really tune it. but i know we ran the car with 5 less pounds of boost and 6 less degrees of timing and still had the best 60' the car has ever had 1.00000 60' so the numbers are looking good we are hoping once the timing and boost is back in we will see some 6.20s in the 1/4 but who knows we will soon find out once we get the manifold back from wilson

Wow, that 60' are awsome! :eek:

The spacer, was it just a hole or did you have something in it to spread the air?

What updates are Wilson doing with the intake?

Have you checked that your ign. is enough now for the alky? If so, what ign. do you use?

Just curios because my friend had sirius problem just over 2000hp that the ign. could burn anymore.

yeah it was just a open hole and wilson should have the intake done in the next couple weeks and we are running an msd 7al-3 ign. and im sure its enough we ran big block alky blower motors with it but we will see this is definatly a learning curve

well thats what i like to see somone trying to make allot of power. im planning on doing somthing similar to that once i get done running the v6 i really want to see how fast we can make it