gas tank removable

burke

i have replaced fuel fiter twice, would like to check tank, can any one tell me the steps i should take in removing it? will be installing new fuel pump. havent had car very long. i thank you for any help you can suggest. i have a 87 gn thanks. "burke"

Pretty straight forward.....couple of bolts at the tank straps behind diff. Unplug wiring harness, make sure your low on fuel. Let the tank down about a foot maybe and reach in on top of take and undo the fuel lines and she should come out.

To lower tank use a jack with a flat board between tank and jack so not to damage tank. Watch the tank neck when lowering and install. Use your legs and feet to balance tank while lowering and installing.

First thing is to drain tank as much as possible...make up a jumper wire(about foot long) with an alligator clip on one end and a male spade terminal on the other...get about 4 feet of 3/8 fuel line hose...small clamp that fits on the hose...take the cap off the end of the fuel rail on the drivers side...remove the shrader valve...put hose on end of fuel rail (threaded portion) and clamp...not too tight...just enough to seal hose...put end of hose in gas jug...plug male spade from jumper into terminal hanging down behind A/C compressor...there should be a green terminal and another one together that aren't plugged into anything...I think it's black...maybe brown...either way just use the one that isn't green...make sure the hose is in the jug then clip the alligator clip to the positive terminal on back of alternator...fuel pump will start running and gas with start flowing...when the gas flow out of the hose starts to slow down and sputter a little...STOP...if you run the pump dry you will probably damage it...then just drop the tank as suggested...I just drop it on my chest and then slide it off my chest onto my creeper...that way i can unhook the lines from the top and then just wheel it out from under the car...

If it has not been mentioned, replace the 3 hoses on top of the tank as well
if they are the original ones, if memory serves me there are 3 sizes and use fuel injection hose, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 ID.

Ron

gas tank remove

thanks to all for your help & advise in removing gas tank. all went well, thanks again. burke

DROP-N' TANK contest????

thanks to all for your help & advise in removing gas tank. all went well, thanks again. burke

My students have done this "so-many-times" that they have a contest between thenselves ;) 4 students per team!!! :cool:

1.drain fuel
2.remover hoses/drop bumper
3.drop tank
4. replace fuel pump
5. reinstall ALL and start car
----68 mins.--- WINNER!!!!:D (other team 72mins.:smile: --still Very GOOD!!)

tank removable

i want to thank all for your tips & advice in removing tank it made my job easy when you know what to do & look for. " thanks again " i have another question you may be able help me with, i have had my gn for about four months it has 85,ooo + original miles, i dont know what oil the previous owner used are how to get in touch with him. can any one recomend a good oil & are additive, im now using mobil one 10/30 syn. also i have a aluminum radiator with a 16lb. cap is that the right cap? car runs 220 + when hot outside after driving for awhile. thank you for any help you can give me. burke

With an aluminum radiator you should be in the 180-190 degree range. You need to investigate the thermostat, fan operation and water flows. A block flush would probably tell you alot about the water passages.

2X that - find out why!

With an aluminum radiator you should be in the 180-190 degree range. You need to investigate the thermostat, fan operation and water flows. A block flush would probably tell you alot about the water passages.

As far as the oil goes, I would add the ZDDP Plus that Kirban/Richard Clark have come up with - You can use any oil you prefer but I believe the zink additive (to prevent engine wear) is more important than which oil you use. I used synthetics but now, for fewer $'s, I use a good conventional oil and the ZDDP. You can read plenty about this here on TB.com. HTH

Kirban link:
https://secure.mysuperpageshosting.com/kirbanperformance.com/index1.htm