Gas Tank question - NA vs Turbo

b4black

I need to replace the fuel tank on my '82 Regal. It has the non-turbo tank without the baffle inside. I'm sticking with the carb for now, but may go SFI at some point. Will the turbo tank work with the non-turbo sending unit? Do the tanks look any different from the outside (like can you see spot welds for the baffle)?

shouldn't look different from the outside and you should go ahead and buy one for a 86-87 turbo car... the only difference will be the baffling. I've used a pickup from a carb car modified for turbo car use.. should be no difference.

Thanks. I ordered the SFI tank. You can see the baffle's spot welds from the outside, but that no big deal.

It's covered with light oil. Is there anything I should do to it to keep it from rusting? Or is it OK to mount as is? I looks so nice, I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Last edited:
Degrease, scuff pad, rinse, prep, and paint while that tank is out there & easy to handle. I used Duplicolor wheel paint (no primer needed) that was left over. Supposed to be temp and chemical resistant & it came out nice. There are some gas tank paints like Eastwood Tank Tone that look like bare metal that I might have tried if my leftovers hadn't been here.:finger:

Bob