Gas cap test with a fuel cell

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I live in Middle TN and the county I live in requires emissions testing for anything older than 1975. So to get a legitimate set of tags, I have to go through emissions. I can pass the tailpipe sniffer and I can put a cat on the car for emissions testing.

The only problem I can forsee is the gas cap test. I have a fuel cell in the trunk. I'm not even sure if older cars get the gas cap test. What do most people do there? I can make a new lid for the fuel cell that uses a stock type gas cap. Or I can build a faux filler that goes down to the stock tank location. Or can they test a fuel cell cap? What does everyone else do?

Cut off a filler neck from a gas tank, position it in the license plate opening, and put a cap on it. Tape off the underside so light can't show thru it.

When they check, they're looking for the restrictor under the cap. You will pass that test.

Cut off a filler neck from a gas tank, position it in the license plate opening, and put a cap on it. Tape off the underside so light can't show thru it.

When they check, they're looking for the restrictor under the cap. You will pass that test.

It will be funny if they look under the rear of the car to find a filler neck hanging with tape at the bottom of it.

Get yourself a junk yard tank and mount it during your inspections.

It will be funny if they look under the rear of the car to find a filler neck hanging with tape at the bottom of it.

I'd bet they wouldn't even notice it. And even if they did, they would have no idea what they are looking at. Remember, it's a gov't employee.....

Besides, the law requires the restriction in the filler neck. It doesn't specifically spell out that you actually have to have it attached to a gas tank. Definitely arguable.

Get yourself a junk yard tank and mount it during your inspections.

I can't physically get a tank into position because there are bars in the way. I can however get a cardboard box panted black in there with a filler neck shoved into it. :)
CIMG1244.jpg

Just use a dummy filler neck. When I was going through emmisions all they cared about was cheking the cap per there procedure. They didn't care if it was a dummy filler neck. I don't think they aer even qualified to make any determinations anyway.
Allan G.