Garage Lift

Wld87GN

Okay, I am in the market and am looking for options. 2 post, 4 post, etc...

If you have one, please share what brand, where you got it, what you paid (if you don't mind), pros and cons, and if you recommend it or not.

Any other details are welcome as well, pictures are great as well. My apologies if this is an old thread, I did a search and did not find much.

Thanks,

I just bought a Bendpack 10,000 lbs two post and freaking love it! I believe that I paid around $2,800 for it. It picks up my GMC 2500 HD Diesel, CC, 4x4 truck with ease. I bought it local but I have seen them on flebay for around the same price with free shipping.

@Lost2a6, What promoted you to purchase the Bendpack? I have read great things about them, plus they are ALI/ANSI certified which to me is a bonus.

I was planning to build a shop that would incorporate a lift, so I designed it around the Direct Lift 4 post, Pro Park 8S. I also got the Pro Jack 3500 optional center jack.
I LOVE this lift. I have had it about 3 years now and it get used all the time. I cant even imagine working on any projects with out one.
I chose the Direct lift because it is affordable for the home shop, and I wanted the center jack. This enables you to lift the wheels off the runners to do tire rotations or brake jobs.
Another use I found is that I can position the vehicle at any height to make sanding, buffing and waxing easier. I can sit on my rolling stool and work at the most comfortable position for me.
The quality has been great for me so far.

I did a lot of research on it, I looked at of it's features, and it was a lot of bang for the buck. It's both symmetrical and asymmetrical. :cool: My brother got the exact same thing and he is very pleased with it. It was actually tested at 15,000 lbs! There is a youtube video floating around on them actually testing the lift capacity of one of those cheap Chinese lifts.

I was planning to build a shop that would incorporate a lift, so I designed it around the Direct Lift 4 post, Pro Park 8S. I also got the Pro Jack 3500 optional center jack.
I LOVE this lift. I have had it about 3 years now and it get used all the time. I cant even imagine working on any projects with out one.
I chose the Direct lift because it is affordable for the home shop, and I wanted the center jack. This enables you to lift the wheels off the runners to do tire rotations or brake jobs.
Another use I found is that I can position the vehicle at any height to make sanding, buffing and waxing easier. I can sit on my rolling stool and work at the most comfortable position for me.
The quality has been great for me so far.

X2 !!! I forget what mine is. The power center jack is priceless !!! Amazing what ya can do with it.

I bought new in 2010 ($2,500 shipped), installed literally by myself (have a hernia as proof), a Worth 2 post asymmetrical 10,000 lb lift. What sold me is just how stout it is compared to a lot of other similar lifts. The base plate is 5/8" and the overall upright dimensions I believe were larger. Look at the shipping weights, comparing the 2 posters, I believe the heavier the better the construction, it's the one stat that isn't marketing. I haven't used the lift too much, but I like it from the little I have. When I buy another lift it will likely be another worth.

10k Assym. 2 Post Worth Lift, Pros:
1) As American as I could afford at the time. I've seen too much to trust my life with Chinese Products.
2) Stouter than similar Lifts.
3) Has a vertical cross brace connecting the 2 towers. I lot of people hate this, but I think it adds stability and relieves some load from the concrete.
4) Less plastic parts than competition.
5) Save money by buying direct. Go to worthequipment.com for phone number to talk with a real person.
6) Easy setup. Install yourself and save money. Requires 4" of concrete, dimensions to pouring your own concrete pads (if installing outside).
7) Small Mom and Pop feel to company, I know, it’s personal preference.

Worth Lift, Cons:
1) Lead time of a few months. I ordered in December and received lift in the spring. I believe I had to pay in full in December.
2) Customer service. They didn't let me cancel my order after I was unexpectedly laid off in January, so I have to ding them for this.
3) You have to walk to both sides to release the safeties, kind of inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

When I researched it, the best lift out there (2 post) is a Mohawk, unfortunately I couldn't afford the 10k price tag at the time. American lifts are few and far between these days and as far as I know Bendpak and Rotoray are mostly made in china so those were off the table for me unless I wanted a used lift. Mowhawk was almost entirely US. Worth is mostly US still I think. I believe that Challenger makes some models in Kentucky. Other than those, I’d really do my homework if the company says its US made, heck even double check those because I’m basing this on 2010 information.

@bryesh, thank you for the write-up, very informative and good pros and cons. Although I will tell you that in my research I thought that Bendpak was made in the US, I visited a lot of sites last night researching this.

I cannot get over the fact that some have the ALI/ ANSI certification "gold approval" and some do not. I am skeptical of those that do not and since this is the ONLY standard for quality on garage lifts this cannot be taken lightly.

I am in the market for a 4 post vs. 2 post. I feel more comfortable with a 4 post unit than a 2 post since I will be storing another car underneath (which is a big factor in purchasing decision).

Okay, I am in the market and am looking for options. 2 post, 4 post, etc...

If you have one, please share what brand, where you got it, what you paid (if you don't mind), pros and cons, and if you recommend it or not.

Any other details are welcome as well, pictures are great as well. My apologies if this is an old thread, I did a search and did not find much.

Thanks,[/quote

Check these out:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/index.html

http://ezcarlift.com/index.html

I like the ezCARlift. I can take it with me....

Keep in mind too that with 2 post lift the concrete has to be thicker (6 inches I think) and it must be bolted down. Verses a 4 post at 3-4 inches.
My shop was engineered to local code requirements to accomodate the 4 post lift.
A nother reason I chose the Direct Lift 4 post was that it can be moved on the supplied casters if you ever need to adjust its location, or I can even roll it outside and use it in the open.

@Wld87GN

I hope you’re right that Bendpak is Made in USA, but if they are, then that fact seems to be veiled even on their own website (I can’t find it anywhere on Bendpak.com). Usually companies (especially those I like to buy from) will proudly display the “Made in America” moniker , like the “100% designed made and welded in the USA” label on the Mohawk site, (See http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consumer/made-in-america). (BTW I think I know a guy who works in the plant that produces the cylinders for mohawks in Tallmadge Ohio.)
The consensus that I’ve found is that Bendpak lifts are mostly made in China.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19992
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/other-tech/home-garage-lifts-with-bendpak/
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/646746-New-Bend-Pak-lift-installed
http://www.e-autolifts.com/Factory/ForumDialogue.html
Other than Mohawk which seems to be the best and priciest, I doubt there is a lift that is 100% American. I went with Worth as they seem to be mostly us made (and is affordable) and I think challenger has some (affordable) mostly US models, but you have to be careful because some challengers are china I think.
For 4 posters, I think there are a few other brands that are made in the US, from what I have seen (backyard buddy seems to be) , I don’t think Bendpak is one of them though.

@bryesh, I was wrong, I called Bendpak and they confirmed that they are made in China. However, so is Direct lift, and they both carry the ALI/ ANSI certification.

Which troubles me... I want to buy American, both companies explained that the facilities that are in China are owned by US companies. Neither company hid from the facts, but Direct Lift did offer the point that in order to compete and increase their sales it was cheaper to build a facility there to construct and then they do not have to export overseas and the US is much cheaper and easier to import goods from their facility in China. I was not happy with the answer, but at least they did not duck the facts and tried to offer an explanation. The Direct Lift rep even went on to say that if I was dead set on buying "American" by that being owned and made in America there are only a few companies that offered complete construction of all components made is US.

He did say that he respected my wish to buy a product that was made and owned in America, but told me to be careful and do research if that was a criteria in which I was buying on. Otherwise he suggested that I look for companies that were certified by ALI and had the ANSI certification. He stated that I should not read articles from any company that were written prior to a year ago because a lot of lift companies have been re-engineering their equipment to be safer and seeking ALI certification. All in all, very helpful and was not pushy at all, also offered his services if I had any other questions... and did not speak bad of ANY other company, but offer caution for any company that sells "generic" lifts.

I thought I was confused before I called... need more data I guess.

Keep in mind too that with 2 post lift the concrete has to be thicker (6 inches I think) and it must be bolted down. Verses a 4 post at 3-4 inches.
My shop was engineered to local code requirements to accomodate the 4 post lift.
A nother reason I chose the Direct Lift 4 post was that it can be moved on the supplied casters if you ever need to adjust its location, or I can even roll it outside and use it in the open.

I have a neighbor that has the same lift as you and he loves it, the only complaint he has is the speed of raising or lowering the lift. Other than that he said he is very happy.

I have owned a Rotary asymmetrical lift 9000 lb for 23 years and it is the Best I have ever worked with . they last forever and very user friendly and safety features , will pick up anything within reason . They are American made also , they are very affordable . It picks my Dually up with no problems . It does not even sweat on a Buick GN or T . It will save your back and legs for sure .

I bought an Atlas PV10P 10,000 pound lift for my shop. I did a lot of research and for the hobby guy like me it was more than I needed. I wanted to stay under $2500. I also talked with some service centers that use it and they seemed pretty satisfied as well. It's built like a tank structurally but there is some cheesy parts on it like the release cable and rollers. I paid $2450 shipped so I can't complain. I have picked up 1 ton dually's with it no problem. The cylinders are main in Europe and I think the rest of the lift is probably a mix of US, Mexico and China. Good luck finding one that doesn't have some outsourcing for parts. If I was going to use this lift commercially I probably would have went to something like a Rotary or Mohawk and spent more money.

If you are going to run a 2 post I would want a minimum of 5" concrete. I have 6" in my shop mostly, depending on how well the concrete was poured will depend on the consistence of the thickness. I had a couple holes that measured 5" but I am still safe. You also need to find out the mix of your concrete you plan to install the lift on. I can't remember the terminology but there is different mixtures that determine the strength of the concrete as well. I have a commercial building so again I knew my concrete was up to snuff.

Here is a link to what I bought. Like others have said I can't imagine working on anything without one of these.

http://www.atlasautoequipment.com/products/pv10p#specs

I got my dad to buy a rotary lift 2 post. I think its rated at 8 or 10klbs ... paid almost list for it about 7yrs ago.
Im going to be putting a 4 post in my home garage .. /rotary also.

Attachments

• 1383696534703.jpg
    1383696534703.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133
I've got two Rotories. 7k low ceiling used paid 1k installed, 1ok Extended height $3800 installed. Since I do not install lifts for a living I wanted the people who are certified to do it. My life is priceless and I use them regularly on the weekends.

Forgot a pic.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1383699549716.jpg
    1383699549716.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 128