Garage Heating and Cooling

t-topflyer

Looking for some tips on what may be the best option for climate controlling a garage. Area is 38' x 24' with 10 foot ceilings. It's well insulated, has 2 windows where a window unit could be installed, which is what I would prefer, I'm just not sure it would be enough. If it isn't going to be enough I would hate to waste the money so I would like to hear from anyone that has any helpful info. In the winters it can get down to the 20s but not much if any colder and the summers can be consistently in the high 90s to low 100s.

Looking for some tips on what may be the best option for climate controlling a garage. Area is 38' x 24' with 10 foot ceilings. It's well insulated, has 2 windows where a window unit could be installed, which is what I would prefer, I'm just not sure it would be enough. If it isn't going to be enough I would hate to waste the money so I would like to hear from anyone that has any helpful info. In the winters it can get down to the 20s but not much if any colder and the summers can be consistently in the high 90s to low 100s.
IMO Window units won't be enough to heat & cool it...Ceiling too high and area is too big, Yeah it would likely make a difference but would take Forever to heat up and most likely not keep up in the heat of Texas weather...

Depending on what electrical service you have going to your garage I would just install a central heat & air unit and be done with it.. No need for duct work, just let the heat exchanger stand in the garage and dump everything in by one large opening in the supply.

Scot W.

I have to agree with scott.

In my garage, I have a small 40,000 btu furnace that dumps out the bottom.

I would install a roof unit with a chiller. I have a rheem 120,000 btu furnace in my garage. No ac yet but that is coming also. I had a hanging sterling unit that made my gas bill go from $140 a month to $400 in the winter:eek: I bought that rheem for $120 from a hvac guy and it was only 4 years old. I wouldnt install a window unit. After 5 years of running one of those you could have had 3 roof units. I know they are not cheap but that would be the most cost effective way to go.

Find a used gas furnace and a used heat-pump and have an inexpensive dual-fuel system! If you're going to keep the temps fairly constant, the heat-pump would do the trick. No need for ducting, just mount it outside and run the return and one big vent thru the wall.

guy up the street had a nice gas wall mounted unit installed (looks tiny)..

They tapped off his main gas line. They made him put 2 blocker poles even though it was on the wall.

Keeps the 2 car garage toasty.

They tapped off his main gas line. They made him put 2 blocker poles even though it was on the wall.

Thats good but what about the A/C ? The OP lives in Texas where it get's HOT!!

Ask him if his garage is very humid,is it ventless??

I'm an A/C contractor. PM me and we'll talk about advantages and disadvantages of all options.

Mikey

there is some mathimatical solution for what you need. AN A/C person should be able to tell you what you need ... Im going with a central heat and air unit in my new 3 car garage with 11ft celings. Those industrial wall hanger units work well also.

Simple, if he has window an AC unit or put one of those in wall. :biggrin:
Not going to be as simple as you think! Cause a window unit will NEVER be able to keep up and would never cool that space!! :biggrin:

BTW: So everyone knows where I'm coming from, I am a certified H.V.A.C.R tech with my diploma to match and have been involved in this type of business for for over 20 yrs with the family owned Heating & Cooling business that my father still owns.

Mathematical solution- With the square feet of your garage coming in right around 1,000-1,100 sq ft including the added 10' ceiling height, Also taking into consideration the Heat of Texas I would recommend nothing less than a 2 ton A/C cooling unit seeing that will be what is running the most months out of the year there. A simple split unit will work wonderful.....

SW.

Not going to be as simple as you think! Cause a window unit will NEVER be able to keep up and would never cool that space!! :biggrin:

maybe 2 :D

Sounds like he needs to call an HVAC guy out & looking to be spending some $ coin

the overhead door is the whole load or 85% of it.Most Garages run from 35 to 55 BTUH a square FT.The smaller the garage the higher the load per Sq Ft.If you want to scan a small floor plan with Insulation factors and Temperature differences.I can do a load calculation for you.I would do a commercial load on a garage and not a Residential.Mine is 24x30 not insulated very well a 16x8 door no windows.I have a 100mbh Bryant 92% in it.
it will run you out of there
Email bobbybuick@sbcglobal.net
34 years Gen Manager Airtron HVAC Dayton ,Ohio