fwd piston and fwd wav questions

WE287GN

Hey all,
Finally getting toward putting the clutch stacks back in the drums and I noticed I am missing one of the wav steels from the fwd stack up...

1) Is it possible this thing came with only 1 wav and 3 steels(I am guessing no, the clearence would be wrong right?)..It was a KCF from my old 86 Regal 307.. I can only assume, its hiding under the bench somewhere, but I have yet to find it???
Can I get by without the 2 using something to substitute, or are the steels too thick for that? I am guessing the clearence is the key..

2) Also, as I was poking around in my second tranny for a wav steel(they are toast by the way)...I notice the fwd drum had the aluminum piston in it..
Is this common in a CZ core/case..or has someone been inside this thing? I think it is 85?? it had a pink tag

Thanks a bunch

steels

I believe the drums without the aluminum piston stack like this.
wave
friction
steel
friction
steel
friction
steel
friction
pressure plate
snap ring

With the aluminum pressure plate.
Wave
steel
friction
steel
friction
steel
friction
steel
friction
pressure plate.

I use different thickness steels to control clearance.
Different thickness frictions can also be had along with other ways.
Best of luck.

Lee is spot on, I'll add:

1. Forward and direct steels are different thickness
2. Make sure that your forward input drum has the checkball capsule if using steel piston.
3. Forward and direct backing plates are different in thickness AND the forward backing plate has the inner chamfer facing rearward towards geartrain.

Good luck.

Kevin.

Lee, Kevin
Thanks so much...
I think that is exactly what I had in my fwd ( steel piston)(your first stack listed)..wave, fric, steel, fric, steel , fric, steel, fric ,backing plate..

And the aluminum pistoned drum , in my parts core had the extra wave before the backing plate...

So then its very possible I didnt loose a wave from the steel pistoned drum..
Phew...:eek:
I wonder if the ASTG book is based on a aluminum pistoned fwd drum set up?

I will put the stack up back in and check the clearance as it is ...

Thanks again!!

May have been part of the garage shift packge to reduce P-D or N-D clunk:

USE APPROPRIATE SERVICE P/N B ASED ON MODEL/YR/BUILD DATE/TRANS, MODEL-P/N 8639969 NEW FORWARD CLUTCH HOUSING AND 8639970 NEW NEUTRAL TO DRIVE SHIFT PACKAGE

wave

I highly recommend you DO NOT omit the wave steel. It is there for a cushion effect when the trans is engaged.

I highly recommend you DO NOT omit the wave steel. It is there for a cushion effect when the trans is engaged.

I plan on leaving the wave in there, I was just questioning weather or not I should have had the second one between the backing plate and friction?
I did not pay attention when I pulled it out..I layed it on the bench as it came out from the drum and never counted anything till now..
Now when I refered to the book I noticed my fwd stack did not have the second wave plate like in my ASTG book..but rather it was stacked like you mentioned in your first reply ...
Of course I have the clutches and steels here, and the drums are both at work where I used the press to change the seals and bushings out..
So until I bring one to the other I havnt checked the clearance yet..
I will have to thumb through my notes and see if I wrote anything down from the last time I tried this..This is sounding familiar.., but its been like 9 yrs I'm guessing since I last dabbled..
Thanks so much

Well I did a little more digging here and I found a few more posts confirming the stack up between the aluminum pistoned drum and the steel..
And I just found a post refering to my CZ core being 87 , so I guess it could be possible the alminum fwd setup was factory , being close to 88???

bringing my stacks and my drop indicator in with me tomorow, hoping to have the drums sewn up by the weekend and start putting this bad boy together...ha ha..sounds good on paper

Thanks