fwd n/a 3.8 to Turbo

RabidHamsterFab

this is the best part of the forum I can think of too ask this question about my project and solidify better my plans and ideas

I've got a 86 delta88 with a fwd 3.8 (pre 3800) ... I am on the verge of doing a pretty basic turbo add on to the motor ... while the rwd buick and fwd buick motors are very close ... it's the differences I have a small problem with.

first off I'm using a small turbo (very mildly modded CT26) for a mild 300hp with very very quick spool . I'm going to be using a GN intake manifold and rail .. with an adjustable FPR... but aftermarket injectors .. Translator plus and aftermarket LT1 maf

myquestions are this...

- what injectors are the best option for only 300hp (without maxing right out)

- I have pedestal mounted rockers (not the normal shaft mounted, so I can go to SBC rockers) ... I plan on keeping the stock N/A cam. but going to aftermarket rockers to get the extra lift ....what are the largest rockers a 3.8 buick can run? I plan on 1.7 intake and 1.8 exhaust (stock cam specs are .250 lift intake, .255 exhaust)?

- finally the great chip question .... who would everyone recommend for a custom chip? I don't really want anything exotic beyond a "stage 1" GN chip but there are a couple other requirements in the chip involving the TC lockup I will need

thanks in advance... if you need any more info to help with advice... please don't hesitate to ask ;)

You're right....Getting an answer to a question that can save a lot of time and effort is the best thing about this board :)

I'm sure if you take a few minutes to search posts from the turbo lounge and this forum, you'll find a lot of interesting and informative information from people who have "been there and done that" with engines like yours. Search for several word combinations that describe your interests, that way you'll have the best chance of finding what you're looking for. Use the red search button near the top of the page.

I'd expect fuel pump (volume and pressure) issues as you approach 300 hp. I feel sure that stock 28-30 pound GN injectors will make 300 hp easy. If you go the T+ route, I'm sure that Full Throttle can walk you through any technical issues you may have with a chip/injector/turbo combination. But, there are other, less expensive, options. Search for posts about chips, turbotweak, and related terms for those options.

I don't know about your other questions :)

thank you :D

I was actually looking at the MAXEFFORT multi position wheel digital tuning thing

http://maxeffort.tripod.com/

it's a neat lil thing... lil pricey .. but looks like a very good tuning tool

the only real reason I'll be swapping to the Translator or T+ would be the lack of turbo 3.8 MAF's and lack of good replacements (I've heard alot of bad news about the remans on the market)

the added tuning from the T and T+ is a bonus of course... combined with this MAXEFFORT thing... the tuning should be just what I need to smooth out any little bumps

as for fuel pump.. I've got that covered... I'll look around more for the fuel injectors... I get alot of conflicting answers.. some say they are basically maxed out at stock hp...some say there is more...

but thank you I'll try more in the search option...

Originally posted by RabidHamsterFab
thank you :D

....but thank you I'll try more in the search option...

When you find a thread you're interested in, or a thread about a similar project to the one you are undertaking, PM or e-mail the originator or contributor and get some real fine tuned feedback. That may help you.

My TTA went 12.4 Seconds in the Quarter mile with stock injectors. :D

on current 3800's the highest lift rocker available is 1.90...clearance shouldn't be a problem on an older fwd 3.8(they are pretty much the same), but they do have valve cover spacers of you run into problems

We have a new Tech area for Hybrid cars

You might get some more help as one of the first posters in our new Hybrid Tech area....Try it. :)