fusible links-help

fastjack1

What is the amperage rating on the fusible links on a 87GN. Also, can they be replaced with a spade type plug in fuse. The dealer only knows that they come in different wire gauges, i.e 12,14,16 etc. but doesn't know the amperage rating. Also, how do they differ from a standerd fuse or circuit breaker fuse. Thanks, Jack.

What is the amperage rating on the fusible links on a 87GN. Also, can they be replaced with a spade type plug in fuse. The dealer only knows that they come in different wire gauges, i.e 12,14,16 etc. but doesn't know the amperage rating. Also, how do they differ from a standerd fuse or circuit breaker fuse. Thanks, Jack.
Go to http://www.casperselectronics.com they can help n answer all ur questions gr8 services n AWESOME people !!!!!!!!!

A fusible link is nothing more than a wire that's 2 guages smaller than the primary wire. So if your primary is a 10 guage then the fusible link would be a 14 guage wire. It really doesn't go by amperage rating. It's used as a fuse that burns out in the event of an over load.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_link

I had a bad encounter with a roll of store bought fusible link a few years ago. I won't use it anymore. I'll put fuses in it.

6-8 inches of fusible link that was 2 gauges thinner than the other wire, when the wire abraded on a metal bracket it burned the insulation off of 1.5 feet of the primary wire and the fusible link never did burn out. I had to unhook the battery to get it to stop burning wire. The primary wire used was cheap ass stuff too (I was in high school). But I won't ever attempt it again.

Of course the wikipedia article says to go 4 gauges smaller.... I was told 2......

Honestly I'm so used to wire sizing being even numbers that the thought never occurred to me that that's why wikipedia said 4 gauges smaller. I was thinking literally 4 sizes smaller, when I wired that thing up I went 2 sizes smaller (16 gauge on a 12 gauge wire) and it burnt the crap out of some stuff. The more I think about it though, the cheap wire I was using did play a part in it. The wire itself never severed, it just got hot and burned the cheap vinyl insulation off of it. I had 1.5 feet of bare wire when I was done but the copper never severed.

If I had used automotive cross link wire from a reputable source it might not have melted off as fast as the parts store special wire.

The more I dick with cars, the less need I have for any aftermarket auto parts stores. Everything in there is crap.