fuseable link

datant69

do our cars have a fuseable link between the battery and the starter? i'm sure it does but before i drop the starter i wanted to know from the guru's here. i have a good battery and installed it into the car after using it in my daily driver due to weather. i bought another battery for my DD and i cranked it after installing the battery and it ran fine. i was going to work on it alittle and when i went out to start it to back it up and give myself some work space it went dead. i turned the headlights on a few times and didn't hear the chime but kept doing it and it chimed. tried to start it but it seemed like the battery was dead. i checked to make sure i didn't leave the interior light on but it seems fine. put my battery charger on it so it'll charge within a few hours. just wanted to know if it does have one before the drop the starter and is it by the starter? this battery worked fine in my DD for over a month without a hitch but maybe i overlooked something after i put it back in.

great so what are my options

i know i can get under there with a 12 volt test light and find out where the bad one is or would it be best to replace the whole wire going to the starter?

well it's dead

like it doesn't have a battery in it at all, so i'm guessing i'll have to go through the whole thing to find out where this broke fuseable link is at.

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery to me. Take the bolts out and check the cable ends. I'll bet you have some corosion issues or a bad ground on the engine.

hey charlie

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery to me. Take the bolts out and check the cable ends. I'll bet you have some corosion issues or a bad ground on the engine.

well i haven't had a battery in it for about a month and when i glanced at the bolts they looked good no corosion on them but i'll take some time tomorrow and pull back the rubber housing of the connectors. i thought maybe i blew a fuse under the hood but i didn't have time to look since i was in a hurry to run to the dr's office and dropped the battery in and started it. then messed with something else turned it off and when i tried to crank it back up it was dead, no dash lights or nothing. it acts like there is corosion so i'll inspect it closer but i had a busy day and didn't really have time. hell since it's been sitting awhile i wasn't in a hurry but wanted to pick you guys brains on where i should check. So tomorrow i'll inspect it throughly after i get back from another dr i see to get my results of my cat scan. will update you guys and it'll probably be something simple like corosion that i overlooked. appreciate it and i haven't done the trash can mod yet but i was going to back it up in the driveway and take some measurements and cut it out and install it. but since this issue came up it's more important then modding the trashcan.
hope all is well with you charlie. if it's something more i may see if you can make a trip and help me out. Talk to you later.

I would check what CharlieF1 said first but wouldn't rule out the fusible links. The links are at the starter wires. Everything pwoer wise for the car seems to go there so...blown links will act like there is no battery in the car. You can get the links or fusible link wire at Napa and other auto parts stores.
I had this same thing happen in my Cutlass on Thanksgiving night once. Sucked big time but was able to find on here that it is a relatively common problem with usage/age of these cars. It's a truly easy fix.

ps. I think there is another link at the pos. batt. cable for the ecm also. but that wouldn't have anything to do with your lights.

thanks i will

I would check what CharlieF1 said first but wouldn't rule out the fusible links. The links are at the starter wires. Everything pwoer wise for the car seems to go there so...blown links will act like there is no battery in the car. You can get the links or fusible link wire at Napa and other auto parts stores.
I had this same thing happen in my Cutlass on Thanksgiving night once. Sucked big time but was able to find on here that it is a relatively common problem with usage/age of these cars. It's a truly easy fix.

ps. I think there is another link at the pos. batt. cable for the ecm also. but that wouldn't have anything to do with your lights.

but i haven't really been under the car yet around the starter area, so would i have to drop the starter to check and see if it's the fuseable link? i'm pretty familuar with these cars and know it;s probably 2 bolts but still befor i go through that i wanted to check the fuse box under the hood. i talked to a guy i know at orielly's and he even suggested i may have blown the CPU since its been cool and there may have been moisture in the line. so tomorrow i start with the battery terminals and work my way down. thanks for the suggestions guys you are appreciated.

The main battery cable is thick and solid straight to the starter, no fuse or links between the main cable and the main starter lug.

After that there's a few of them.

First check would be the ground cable at the turbo bracket bolt.

Then try the lights they are on one fusible link B, after that try the fans by using a turn on switch if installed.

If the car still appears to be dead try a meter to the starter housing for ground and the main power wire on the solenoid which is where all the fusible links should also be attached to power the car.