funny clueless guy at pep boys today

Have ran into this problem when trying to explain to the parts counter I had an S-10 with a 350. If I needed engine specific parts I told them it was for a 1975 Camaro with a 350.

Also had a slight issue with a Chevelle with a 402 big block....Advance Autos computers didn't show a '71 Chevelle has having any big block other than a 454 but Autozones did. (402 was an option for 1971 on Chevelles). I think I ended up just telling them all it had a 454 in it, unless it was something cubic inch specific like head gaskets....then if the computer didn't show that I'd think of another year of Chevelle that I knew had the 396/402 option.

Key thing to know more than the counter guy does and what works with what....so excuse me if I get off on Chevy talk on a Buick board, but for Chevys, 396, 402, 427 and 454 share the same oil pans, intakes, distributors, etc. 396 and 427 share the same crank, 427 and 454 share the same size bore. Know all of this stuff (as an example) and you can pretty much get what you need.

I ran into these problems all the time with my 64 chevy II. It had a DANA 60 so you could imagine the hassle of trying to get a pinion seal for it. It also had a 406 in it. So again just trying to get a water pump was an ordeal.

Interesting....you could have told them your Chevy II had a 283 (first year for that size engine in a Chevy II)...the 283 uses the same water pump as a 406. (assuming the 406 you have is just a bored over 400 sbc and not a 406 Ford engine). As for the Dana 60, best bet would to have known what car it came out of and told them that, and if it was a custom ordered Dana 60 from some place like Moser, etc, find out what vehicles came factory with a Dana 60.

That's about the only time you can order parts w/o the "deer-in-the-headlights" look from the parts counter guys...90% of the time.

P.S. you wanna really test your parts counter guy's intelligence....have him look up the radiator for a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle. :biggrin:

(Volkswagen Beetles were air cooled :wink:)

I also used to work for AutoZone... I also like to "think" I have general to advanced knowledge when it comes to auto mechanics and parts... With that said, it didn't matter what I knew or didn't know.... I walked in one day and asked if they were hiring, the girl behind the counter happened to be the store manager. She said she needed a PSM (parts sales manager) and asked if I had any experience... I said, "Well, I managed a Subway in the past but have worked on or been around cars my whole life" we talked for 5min and I was hired on the spot.... This just goes to show you what it takes to get a job at AutoZone, managers position at that!

This was in Las Vegas about 6 years ago... I only had a few TB guys come in and 2 TTA owners.. I was there for about 2 years... I used to drive my dads TTA there everyday... Thats what brought a few TB guys in and they became regulars... I would always give them my employee discount on parts! So it pays to be nice to these guys (as stupid as they may be)

I worked at Autozone for a few years. There were a few guys who knew alot about cars. The few were ASE certified in parts. I actually earned my ASE cert while working there. Autozone offers no real incentive for their employees to become an expert in the parts field. There are no raises no promotions no nada. As a matter of fact Autozone requires that at least 2 employees be certified at each store. Usually they both work in commercial department. And as stated above, yes paperback catalogs are becoming obsolete. Ask me how I know....my manager gave me over 150 catalogs from the stockroom. BTW our District Manager failed the ASE cert test 7 times.

To expedite shopping at chain stores do the following:

1. Have a part number
2. On custom jobs...use the donor car specs
3. If possible Bring the part in
4. Use the www to purchase the part and then pick it up

I worked at Autozone for a few years and have had a few customers try to stump me. Someone came in and asked for a guibo and I asked him for what year Bimmer? He smiled and said that I knew cars well and I nodded yes. There were a few guys who knew alot about cars. The few were ASE certified in parts. I actually earned my ASE cert while working there. Autozone offers no real incentive for their employees to become an expert in the parts field. There are no raises no promotions no nada. As a matter of fact Autozone requires that at least 2 employees be certified at each store. Usually they both work in commercial department. And as stated above, yes paperback catalogs are becoming obsolete. Ask me how I know....my manager gave me over 150 catalogs from the stockroom. BTW our District Manager failed the ASE cert test 7 times. AZ does pay for the test but again offers no real reward for becoming a pro at it.

To expedite shopping at chain stores do the following:

1. Have a part number
2. On custom jobs...use the donor car specs
3. If possible Bring the part in
4. Use the www to purchase the part and then pick it up

See this is where old fart status starts to become useful.

You need to train the parts store counter people to know that you are a god when it comes to cars. All my parts people know me by first name and cell number. They even call me when they are stumped.

I have them trained well.

HA ha the local Auto zone guy calls me at least once a week asking questions.Sometimes I miss working auto parts then he told me what he makes:eek:

BTW our District Manager failed the ASE cert test 7 times.

I believe it, our DM didn't know jack about jack when it came to helping the everyday customer. I got slammed on one of his "visits"... my manager had to run home for personal issues or some s*** and the other guy was outside doing a battery for a half hour... So the DM "tried" to jump in and help... Haha, lets just say he wasn't much help at all. I think he just had WITTDTJR and store #'s on his mind!

pep boys sucks

today at pep boys:

counter guy (late 50s): what's up?
me: i need a blower motor
counter guy: [scrolls on computer]
me: '87 buick grand national
counter guy: is that an SUV?
me: nah regal

how could he possibly work at pep boys at the parts counter and not know what a grand national was? man. he was so slow and apathetic too. what a slob.

Pep boys has the biggest idiots working there besides vato-zone. I stay away as much as possible.

I believe it, our DM didn't know jack about jack when it came to helping the everyday customer. I got slammed on one of his "visits"... my manager had to run home for personal issues or some s*** and the other guy was outside doing a battery for a half hour... So the DM "tried" to jump in and help... Haha, lets just say he wasn't much help at all. I think he just had WITTDTJR and store #'s on his mind!

OMG I hated that WITTDTJR $h*t LOL. I felt like such a douche offering bulb grease, Lucas products, and anti seize to people....for what....a star next to my name...PAY ME A BONUS and I might offer it. ;)

OMG I hated that WITTDTJR $h*t LOL. I felt like such a douche offering bulb grease, Lucas products, and anti seize to people....for what....a star next to my name...PAY ME A BONUS and I might offer it. ;)

The only bonus I got were the tips for doing batteries and check engine lights! Vegas baby... People tip for EVERYTHING... We used to fight over going outside! LOL, you should have seen the days it rained.... EVERYONE and their mother would come in for wipers and 99% didn't have a clue how to pop them on... We would make bank on those days... We used to throw cans of 134 in for people all the time at least 5 or 10 a day in the middle of summer...We also took side jobs in the parking lot while on the clock...Alternators, plugs & wires, even brakes sometimes... Our manager was cool as hell... She just looked the other way and said we were buying lunch! I think the tips and side jobs were the only reason I stayed so long;) That store was so corrupt.... We were always #1 or 2 in sales besides HUB so the DM didnt give a s*** what our manager did as long as we kept our #'s up

Me: I need a part
counter: Year, make, model ?
Me: 1983, Pontiac trans am
counter: sir do you those thing kill polar bears?
Me: do you drive a prius ?
counter: yes, why ?
Me: your aura screemed it

left while people where staring the moonbat

napa auto:

Me: hi I need a part
Me: 1983 Knight 2000
counter: ok pontiac trans am
Me:wow how did you figure that out?
counter: Knight Rider was on RTN last night at 7pm
Me: stunned :eek::D so 20 years old do have taste

me: I need a part
Me: 1983, pontiac trans am
counter: Sir do you those thing kill polar bears?
Me: Do you drive a prius ?
Counter: Yes, why ?
Me: Your aura screemed it

napa auto:

Me: Hi i need a part
Me: 1983 knight 2000
counter: Ok pontiac trans am
me:wow how did you figure that out?
Counter: Knight rider was on rtn last night at 7pm
me: Stunned :eek::d so 20 years old do have taste

:d lmao

The best stumper of all times was a guy who came in asked for a "muffler bearing". I sat and watched another red shirt look thru the computer for 15 minutes while this customer stood there with a grin on his face looking as if he was gonna bust out in laughter. I couldn't take it anymore so I walked over and asked him what kind of car he had. The customer told me it was a jag. 2 minutes later I handed him a rubber exhaust hanger. He was shocked and asked me how I knew what he was talking about. I told him that for some strange reason the only manufacturer who even lists "muffler bearings" in their parts books is Jaguar. I think that ended the "muffler bearing" joke in our store.

Me: I need a part
Me: 1983, Pontiac trans am
counter: sir do you those thing kill polar bears?
Me: do you drive a prius ?
counter: yes, why ?
Me: your aura screemed it

napa auto:

Me: hi I need a part
Me: 1983 Knight 2000
counter: ok pontiac trans am
Me:wow how did you figure that out?
counter: Knight Rider was on RTN last night at 7pm
Me: stunned :eek::D so 20 years old do have taste

LOL, My buddy did a LS1 swap in his 82 and he is in the process of doing a KITT conversion. He says he hasent seen any KITT LS1 cars. I give him a hard time but its starting to grow on me.;)