Fuel Vapor Filter

I believe so, but how? There are two screws that hold it down, once removed, you can see filter on the bottom of the canister...but how does it come out? Do you just pull it out?

Yes, just pull it out and slip the new one in. Been a while, but I think there is just the the plastic cross that holds it in place. Pull it out between one of the sections and put the new one in the same way.

My filter was full of gunk and corroded so I just took it out...is that filter of any real importance

My filter was full of gunk and corroded so I just took it out...is that filter of any real importance

All that gunk you saw in the filter will end up in canister if there is no filter. When the car gos in to purge it draws fresh air into canister and stores it in canister and when its off or idle it vents When we saw the filter that dirty at the dealer we changed the whole canister. Gm stills has filters to protect their pos vent valves and evap systems. oh yeah, put that filter back in

...is that filter of any real importance

It's an emission control device to obtain any fuel vapors released from the tank and stores them until they are sent into the engine to be burnt. It doesn't cost you any performance, at best it's just another piece of clutter under the hood. But you most certainly do not want to just remove the line and leave it open or plug it w/o a venting cap.

Just changed the cannister filter on my '87. Looked pretty bad. Got a new one for a few dollars at Autozone.:)

Bob

I don't have anything over the end of my vent lines, but I guess if you wanted to do something, you could put some kind of small sponge filter over it. I guess to be fair, I don't have any emmissions inspections where I live, but I see you live in the state of the environmentalist whackos. :D

Just changed the cannister filter on my '87. Looked pretty bad. Got a new one for a few dollars at Autozone.:)

Bob

Thinking about doing mine....did you replace just the pads inside? Or the outside of it too? Oh yeah how much?

Thinking about doing mine....did you replace just the pads inside? Or the outside of it too? Oh yeah how much?

The only thing i replaced was the filter on the bottom of the cannister, pop the old one out, push new in.
Didn't know of anything else. I think the cost was $2.00.
Couldn't tell any difference after changing it.

Bob

where is the canister located? NEVER MIND FOUND THE CANISTER!!
also does any one have any vacuum diagrams?

Cheap way to replace filter...go to Home Depot and buy a package of those white filters that go over the heating vents in your home....trace the diameter of your old filter on one of the heating vent filter with a pen, cut it out and put in on your vapor canister. You have enough of these vent filters to last you forever. Cheap because I'm saving for a XDM.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National