Fuel Rail rusting

Kovmat

I know this is a weird one but not sure where to go for answers. I took my fuel rail to a radiator shop to have them run acid through it to remove some rust that was in it. They got it all cleaned out and it looked good. After sitting for a few days it started rusting again. I even put it in one of those space bags and sucked all the air out it thinking that would do the trick.

The rust is just surface rust and I am sure just dipping it in acid for a few minutes will take care of it. However, not sure what to do to keep it from rusting again.

I am thinking something like WD-40 or carb cleaner. Or maybe injector cleaner or should I just soak it in Gasoline. Anything that will keep it from rusting until I get it installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Matt

Since it's not installed yet I think they make stainless ones.

Perhaps the POR15 treatment convert the existing surface rust with their rust converter and then paint it with POR15 black paint.

Never tried that with my fuel line or brake lines however.

I went braided teflon for the fuel line and just keep replacing blown out brake lines with off the shelf tubing, did one stainless long section in brake line that looks great from Classic Industries.

Good news is it takes about 15 years for them to rust through. :cool:

I'd email the POR15 folks to see what they say, I think it's supposed to seal out moisture and Oxygen so that in itself should inhibit rusting.

I have seen painted lines on cars but they just probably sprayed the whole front end while the motor was out, never heard of anyone doing special treatment to steel tube just for surface rust.... :confused:

SalvageV6 thanks for the reply, however I did not specify, it is rusting on the inside. I would not want to put any kind of paint in there for fear it would flake off and clog an injector. I am looking for something I can coat it with temporarily untill I install it that will not damage an injector if it gets in there.

Plain old white vinager will eat rust if you dip the parts in it for a few hours (or days if it's bad). You could just oil the inside for storage and flush it good with brake cleaner right before you install it.

I wouldn't use any line that has rusted on the inside. :eek:

I've never seen one do that well until they rot through but that usually starts on the outside. :confused:

I keep a ton of those 3/16" lengths of brake line as well as larger transmission type 5/16" and 3/8" steel lines in my fathers unheated garage too.

I'd go stainless or new replacement for sure.

One would assume any line that will rust in air and moisture could rust again if an air pocket along with a tiny bit of water in the gas developed somewhere along it while in use.

Just my .02 and I've had a ton of rusty lines on my car, all from the outside however.

I found a bottle of Fuel Stabilizer at Napa. It is supposed to prevent Gum Varnish and Rust buildup in a tank. And Safe for FI Engines. Got the rail cleaned out again poured it in, sloshed it around, and dumped it out. It left a nice film in there. I think this will do the trick.

Funny thing that Rust. I FREAKING HATE IT! I should have done a Hybrid Delorean.

I'm ready for a Hybrid Jaguar XJS. :cool:

Plenty of those around with blowed up non-running V-12's. :)