fuel question

Ok maybe most was a bit of an over statement, but just look at a ton of threads, either alky, propane, or trying nitrous w/o proper octane! why spend hundreds on other contraptions when 50.00 in good fuel will get you there as well. Keep in mind I'm not bashing the buick crowd, If you knew me you would know that I'm a gn junkie by my time spent on car as well as cash or sleepless nights wondering what to do next. It's not just gas either a good percentage will not run slicks also. My gn wants to get all kinds of wild on a big tire with 14lbs and 93 octane maybe I went the wrong route?

Can you tell me why blown Mustang owners are stupid enough to run racegas every day at $4.00 a gallon;)

No offense but we do run racegas at the track (most of us anyways).

But for daily drivers, or people like myself that drive 3-4 days a week when the weather is good, why go through O2 sensors and spark plugs like mad when it is not necessary?

With alcohol or propane, we can have the performance of racesgas, but on cars that drive 300 miles a week the convenience of pump gas

Most people who run propane or alky want the ability to run high boost on the street. Not feasible to run race gas on the street. A propane or alky kit allows street use with high boost, and also allows for track use as well. The main purpose of the race gas is to be able to turn up the boost. Propane and alky will do the same while allowing you to run your same setup on the street. If you only want to run 14-15 lbs boost on the street, then 93 octane should do fine and when at the track just throw in the race gas and turn up the boost. Propane and alky keeps from having to change your setup from race to street. You can basically run the same on the street as you do at the track. Propane and alky keep you at 1 setup all the time, instead of having to change your setup when going to the track and using race gas. Just my opinion.

Brad

Originally posted by darb
Most people who run propane or alky want the ability to run high boost on the street. Not feasible to run race gas on the street. A propane or alky kit allows street use with high boost, and also allows for track use as well. The main purpose of the race gas is to be able to turn up the boost. Propane and alky will do the same while allowing you to run your same setup on the street. If you only want to run 14-15 lbs boost on the street, then 93 octane should do fine and when at the track just throw in the race gas and turn up the boost. Propane and alky keeps from having to change your setup from race to street. You can basically run the same on the street as you do at the track. Propane and alky keep you at 1 setup all the time, instead of having to change your setup when going to the track and using race gas. Just my opinion.

Brad
thanks for a real answer with out bashing, for thats not what thread was meant for, or towards alky, or propane. but more towards the hundreds of threads I've read over the past couple of years of knocking or wanting to go fast but not listening to members first advice of better octane.

Now this is what I call communication, nice thread, good attitude. BlackBuick87 hit it right on the nose. If I even think of going to the track I'll stick at minimum a 100 octane. But as a daily driver myself, 80 miles a day, If I feel the need to confirm my boost gauge is working correctly, this is done only once in a while, then I enjoy the knowledge of knowing that my alky system offers me some form of protection against knock. At least it will when I'm finished installing it. :)

I thought it was self explanitory. If you just understand the basics, which you should. You said you have read hundreds of threads over the years about this subject. If you are going to start a thread with that tone, dont be offended if it's taken the wrong way. It is a pretty ignorant way to start a thread.

my .02

Nick

Mustang moron. :rolleyes:

Gee that wasn't politically correct. :(

Lotsa trolls in the alky. section lately, must be the fumes. ;)

PS: Good 1/8th mile time for a Mustang. :D

I believe propane is a more cost effective way to reduce detonation than having to run race gas every time I want to run over 17-18 psi. I plan on going to alky and/or water injection too, eventually, to address my heat soaked IC problem.

However, I have found that a good combo is 25% 100 LL AV gas, giving me about 95 Octane, plus the propane. The 100 LL is only $2.10 in my area, and the propane is only $1.29 a gallon and lasts a long time since it expands 270x to become a vapor, and is only used when the Hobbs switch actuates above 10 psi or so. This allows me to run 21-22 psi on the street on a daily basis without much detonation/retard. With the fairly low % of 100 LL, I anticipate my O2 sensor will hold up for a while before I replace it with one of the new lead resistant types sold by Mach V.

Joe

Originally posted by salvageV6
Mustang moron. :rolleyes:

Gee that wasn't politically correct. :(

Lotsa trolls in the alky. section lately, must be the fumes. ;)

PS: Good 1/8th mile time for a Mustang. :D
People like you are the ones who add confusion to these threads, That was 1/4 mile times and just in case you couldn't read properly I own and have spent numerous hours and cash on my 87gn which I'm willing to bet runs faster than yours on 93 pump gas than yours with the alky! I will be at bowling green to prove it "if you want to take a lane. as for the rest of the helpfull members on this board thanks for the information and may you enjoy the race season to come.

As for the way I started thread I appolagize, i never changed time on profile it was actually about 4:30 am when posted.

Originally posted by nickb
I thought it was self explanitory. If you just understand the basics, which you should. You said you have read hundreds of threads over the years about this subject. If you are going to start a thread with that tone, dont be offended if it's taken the wrong way. It is a pretty ignorant way to start a thread.

my .02

Nick

Well put.

otwin 93 svt....

Go over to turbobuicks.com and visit the waiting room. read the threads and see how much fun we have. If you want to break some stones try (and I mean try ) to break SalvageV6's stones over there and see how far you get...:)

Go ahead..I dare you!

I double dog dare you...

No.... I tripple dog dare you....:)

Bluck, bluck....;)

Originally posted by twin 93 svt
Ok maybe most was a bit of an over statement, but just look at a ton of threads, either alky, propane, or trying nitrous w/o proper octane! why spend hundreds on other contraptions when 50.00 in good fuel will get you there as well. Keep in mind I'm not bashing the buick crowd, If you knew me you would know that I'm a gn junkie by my time spent on car as well as cash or sleepless nights wondering what to do next. It's not just gas either a good percentage will not run slicks also. My gn wants to get all kinds of wild on a big tire with 14lbs and 93 octane maybe I went the wrong route?

As you may have guessed by now,race gas is prohibitive for dailly driving.
If you can have 90-95% of the performance of race gas on pump gas with a little fuel augmentation and remain reasonably emissions legal,why not?
I'm curious,why a Mustang for 8's.
Why not a G/N?
Lighter maybe,easier than a G/N?
What engine combo you got in the "Hoss"?

Sorry about the confusion. :(

You are a MORON, hope it's clear now. :)

Read your own posts to understand why. :rolleyes:

It's always a good idea to start a post slandering Buick owners in a technical forum. A one sentence jab at that.

The search feature may have worked a bit better for you even after reading the "tons" of threads.

You might want to ask yourself why if your car is so fast at low boost and with pump gas that you need race gas at all? Your words not mine.

I am with these guys. It was a silly question to ask.

Logically and demographically it is safe to assume the 99% of the folks here earn well under 6 figures. So without money to burn we are forced to be creative and frugal with the money we do have.

Last year, I took my Buick to the track 3 times. Twice I ran 110+ race fuel... and spent over $100. Now, figure that I am going to go more often on race fuel... 4 times total over the 4 summer months. That is $200. My Pro-Pain Kit cost me: $950. It looks like it'll pay for itself in: ~5 years... not including all of the burned up O2 sensors.

The big advantage, as stated earlier, is race trim/tune on the street. Personally, I hate draining the fuel tank and fiddling with the wastegate actuator. So, on goes the propane... and if I really want to get wilde, I'll run a Toulene mix in the tank and boost the base fuel to 100.

HTH clear things up :D,

Originally posted by salvageV6
Sorry about the confusion. :(

You are a MORON, hope it's clear now. :)

Read your own posts to understand why. :rolleyes:

It's always a good idea to start a post slandering Buick owners in a technical forum. A one sentence jab at that.

The search feature may have worked a bit better for you even after reading the "tons" of threads.

You might want to ask yourself why if your car is so fast at low boost and with pump gas that you need race gas at all? Your words not mine.
I guess I deserve all that is comming, I may have been a little frusterated when posting back, In actuality my cobra only ran 10.22 at 134 mph before beeing told I could not make a pass with out a cage at route 66 drag way. I took the car apart to make it faster then bought the gn, And some how all my time, money and effort ended up in the buick. This is not my first buick I had an 86 in 87 although stock I knew I would buy another some day. So a 93lx, a 93gt, 3 93 cobras , and 2 kids and 1 on the way later I have returned to building a gn. Maybe I'm over confident after working on the buick for the past year, So I don't claim my car to be the fastest on pump gas. All I am saying is it's fast enough to land on most cars that will be on the street. Both these cars are street raced cars, Which is why mods are not in sig. I asuure you that it is a good running buick that will need tunning to zero in on the et that is wanted. so over all I apolagize to this board for the drama but everyone has those days. because of the cars beeing street cars I will not post mods, but if you are really interested I will respond to any e-mail. And like I said this post wasn't meant to bring hostility to this board! thanks mike

Well I'm totally confused. ;)

Hey, any threads you start you can also delete and start over.

Little Icon thingy at the bottom of your posts.

I use it often. :D

Street racing and daily driving are 2 different animals of course.

I doubt I will be seeing any street race cars on tuesday on the way to work but I may need the alky. to make some snow angels. :cool: