Fuel pump going out?

GNRick

Retired member
Car died once while coasting last December. Started right up. Happened again two days ago. I thought it could be the IAC so I turned it up to 30. Yesterday it died while coasting again and it wouldn't start. Fuel pressure was 10 psi. Got it towed home, turned key and car started. Fuel pressure was back to 39 line on. It's a Reds pump, maybe 60k miles on it. If I replace the pump can I bend the float arm to get the vdo gauge to be more accurate? Gauge always goes past full, then by the time it reads 1/2 it is really closer to 1/4 tank of gas. Thanks guys

Sorry to hear about your fuel pressure issues, if you need a new pump I have a brand new in the box Racetronix 450lph in tank pump available.

Sorry to hear about your fuel pressure issues, if you need a new pump I have a brand new in the box Racetronix 450lph in tank pump available.
That's probably more pump than I need. Did people have any issues with it like the Deutchworks pump where they had too much fuel pressure? How much do you want?

That's probably more pump than I need. Did people have any issues with it like the Deutchworks pump where they had too much fuel pressure? How much do you want?

I haven't heard of any issues with it. I'd like $350 shipped for it.

I checked Racetronix' website. They say you must install a larger return line. Thinking of going with the one from TurboTweak. Eric says it's a different style from the Walbro. Its a turbine pump as opposed to the Walbro gerotor pump. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about Eric's pump?

If you can't get the fuel pressure down then you have to put in a bigger return a 6 an return from fpr to the tank . I had to do this after putting in a 450 Walbro pump for e85 and could not get fuel pressure down past 70 psi

Had a similar issue last week when i noticed my fuel pressure gauge needle was moving slower and slower til the car refused to idle. Thought right away my Walbro GSS340 pump was going out, but i could HEAR it humming fine in the tank. Car would start up just fine, but wouldnt idle unless provoked. Gauge finally read 5psi....then 3..... Decided if i was gonna take the pump out anyway to inspect it, why not Upgrade? Went with the new Aeromotive 340 stealth pump. Took the pump out and this is what i found.... hose had deteriorated/blew out. Guess a new pump wasnt needed afterall... They Say this single pump will support 700HP forced induction. We'll find out more soon! ugh!.jpeg stealth pump.jpeg

Attachments

• crap hose.jpeg
    crap hose.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 141
I put Eric's pump in this morning. So far so good. I found the bulkhead wire burnt on the hanger. Fortunately I had a spare hanger. Will order the Racetronix wire upgrade.