Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
Twice while i was driving the car today the fuel fuse blew. When it first happened the tank had about 3-4 gallons of gas in it. I replaced the fuse with another 15 amp fuse and drove it 2 blocks to my house.

After about another hour i took the car to gas station 5 blocks away and filled the tank up. On the way back the fuse popped again. This time i put a 20 amp fuse. I need the car to use the car for a long trip tommorow.

The car has oringinal fuel pump to my knowleadge and is not hotwired. Is the fuse controlling the fuel relay or the actual pump? Any ideas to what the problem could be? Thanx for reading this post.

Could be in the fuel pump wiring but that fuse also controls the fuel injector power feed.

So it could be the injector wiring harness.

A very close inspection of both of those wiring circuits is needed to find an intermittant short.

Not too hard to do but you have to look very closely at all the wiring.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Could be in the fuel pump wiring but that fuse also controls the fuel injector power feed.

So it could be the injector wiring harness.

A very close inspection of both of those wiring circuits is needed to find an intermittant short.

Not too hard to do but you have to look very closely at all the wiring.
Yep what Salvage said. Mine did the same thing....injector harness was shorting out on the fuel rail.;) I found that my short was in the injector harness by unplugging it and turning the key to on and the fuse did not blow.

If i was to ground the black connector for the fuel pump behind the alternator while the car was running, would it cause the fuse to pop?

I noticed that the wire running to the connector is pulled out of the plug by a 1/4" and is exposed. The green plug has the same problem, but i think that is for a tach hook up.

When i grounded the black connector for a sec while the car was running, i did see a spark. I did not ground it for long for fear of frying something down the line. I will tape both plugs and hope that solves my problem.