fuel pressure

NorEaster

Well spring is finally here and I bailed the car out of winter storage. Car made it through no problem.

I returned my chip settings to where I had them, and during my check ups, I attached my newly purchased actron fuel pressure gage. To my surprise my base pressure, line off, was 55. So I got out my tools and turned it down.

Here's the problem, I couldn't go lower than 45 psi and when I attached the vacuum line pressure did not drop.

Also when I rev it in park fuel pressure drops and when I turn the car off, pressure disappears.

The last way I set my pressure was with a rail mounted gage that ended up crapping out on me.

So my question is, do I trust the gage, and if so, is my regulator junk?

It is a stock style regulator with the billet adjustable top.

Thank you all for the help in advance.

Should I buy a new regulator? Want to get driving it again but am afraid with what the gauge is showing me.

Can you check it with a known good gauge? Depending on the manufacturer, some of the billet fpr's are rebuildable.

what type of regulator is it? how long has the pump been in the car?

Boost231 said:
what type of regulator is it? how long has the pump been in the car?

Its one of the stock style lower portion with a billet adjustable top. I think it was sold by kirban years ago. I bought it off a board member two summers ago.

The pump, harness, injectors, chip, and maf sensor were installed new last year.

You need to cross reference either the guage or the FPR to see if that reading is accurate. Do you know anyone that has a guage that you could borrow or call around to auto parts stores to see if they have a loaner that you could try in the parking lot.

You could also pick up a new Bosch 237 FPR & install it to test. These FPR's are only about $30 & you would then have a spare.

~JM~

~JM~ said:
You need to cross reference either the guage or the FPR to see if that reading is accurate. Do you know anyone that has a guage that you could borrow or call around to auto parts stores to see if they have a loaner that you could try in the parking lot.

You could also pick up a new Bosch 237 FPR & install it to test. These FPR's are only about $30 & you would then have a spare.

~JM~

Went to autozone and borrowed the same actron gauge that I have and it reads 10 psi higher than mine.

I am seeing fuel pressure drop when hook up the line now with both gauges. Adjusted to 43 line off and it goes to 39 line on using the higher reading gauge.

Taped the higher reading gauge to my windshield and went for a spin. Only went to 10 psi of boost and it pressure climbed to a little more than 50 (hard to really see).

At one point I saw .2 deg of kr with o2 readings around 770 (a little lean for my liking.

What now? Get another gauge to see if I have two that read the same?

Well... It looks like the first guage may need to be returned if its actually reading 10# shy. Hopefully you will get a good one this time.

See if you can find a Bosch 237 FPR for cheap & try it. It comes set at 43#.

~JM~

~JM~ said:
Well... It looks like the first guage may need to be returned if its actually reading 10# shy. Hopefully you will get a good one this time.

See if you can find a Bosch 237 FPR for cheap & try it. It comes set at 43#.

~JM~

Well brought the car to my mechanic buddy and after a 6 pack we confirmed the autozone gauge with his.

Thank you all for the help