Fuel pressure cuts out & car dies

cabech984

Ive been tracking this problem for a couple weeks on and off. My Hood Mount FPR Gauge is jumping around alot. I checked the voltage @ the Hotwire kit and the body connector for the fuel pump and they are both showing battery voltage. I can light a headlamp and a test light on both circuits.

I replaced the battery last weekend and the fuel gauge went back to normal, possibly a coincidence. I tested the alternator & it is putting out 95 amps.

When the fuel cuts out, the car will die. When I key it back up the gauge will only go to 20, sometimes stay wherever it died at and sometimes back up to 37ish(vac line on). Could this possibly be the Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator I got? I dont know how old it is. I am also experiencing 6-10 degrees of knock retard @ wot on a 110/93 mix of 5 Gallons each.

Thanks for looking
Chris

I think your pump is going bad.

My fuel pump is a Walbro 340 w/ a hotwire kit. It has less than 4 months(3,000 miles) of run time on it!!! I sure hope not.

Also, last Sunday it was running 12.85-13.0's @ 108-110mph w/ zero boost on launch, 02's in the 580-600 range and 6-10 degrees of knock retard(terrible I know) I it didnt even ping or break up down the track

right now, the fuel gauge jumps all the time. I thought it may be heat related b/c it seemed to drop fuel psi when it was hot and build it back up after cooling down.

my fuel press. needle was steady. Once it started bouncing around it went out completely soon after. For $100 bucks its worth a shot.

I had this exact same symptom.... which doesn't mean my problem was the same, but who knows? In the weather-pack connection to the fuel pump (back by the gas tank) one of the pins had worked loose and pulled away from its connection. If I remember correctly there are three pins in that connector. Intermittent loss of connection caused the symptoms, just like you described. Easy to check anyway, and cheap (free) to fix if that's the problem.
Keith

Well, figured out that I was the Victim of a bad Walbro 340 pump. I only had it in the tank for 2 months. It was never right from day one. I put a stock TTA pump in it and now I get constant pressure, as well as little to zero knock. Thanks to Jason aka 2 QWK 4U!!! Now I gotta keep these tires from spinning;)

No problem Chris, anytime.

Also I would like to find out exactly how many folks have had problems with this "Walbro 340" - or should I say "169" pump.

Does any vendor carry another High Performance fuel pump besides the Walbro?

For an update, I started thinking my Fuel Pump was flowing too much GPH or something and was bleeding past the stock Firebird Pulsator. I took out the Napa/Carter Fuel Pump and put the Walbro 340(169) and got rid of the pulsator & installed the rubber hose. Got the car all zipped back together, keyed on and get the magical zero psi:rolleyes:

I ended up putting the Carter pump back in sans the pulsator, runs like a top!! Also Fixed my brakes so I can Boost Launch and also put some prostars on it. Check them out here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/230044-90-pontiac-firebird-firebuick.html

So you put your old 169 pump back in and got nothing? If so I'm not suprised. Mine won't even power up after jumping 12v to it. It's almost like it's locked up.

If you can get a hold of a known good older style GSS340M that would be the way. Other than that I don't know what else to suggest other than an external setup.

If you start leaning on the car too much you will run out of fuel volume....especially since you got the slicks you'll be hooking better.

For an update, I started thinking my Fuel Pump was flowing too much GPH or something and was bleeding past the stock Firebird Pulsator. I took out the Napa/Carter Fuel Pump and put the Walbro 340(169) and got rid of the pulsator & installed the rubber hose. Got the car all zipped back together, keyed on and get the magical zero psi:rolleyes:

I ended up putting the Carter pump back in sans the pulsator, runs like a top!! Also Fixed my brakes so I can Boost Launch and also put some prostars on it. Check them out here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/230044-90-pontiac-firebird-firebuick.html