Fuel Line Size for 600+ HP... 1/8" : Viper Tech

Blown&Injected

I know there are some Viper owners here and I am seeking some clarification for something that is kinda hard to believe.

The regulator on top of the fuel pump has a section of line, about the same as the insert as the ink cartridge in a common Bic pen, that all the fuel flows thru, or so I am told. How can this be? I am speaking of a stock fuel system on a Viper with a Roe Supercharger, and a bunch of bolt ons. Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts

From the pics I saw, 1/8" OD is being generous. I was shocked to realize how small the ID was on one fitting in my fuel system, but how can an engine make over 600 HP if all the fuel really flows thru such a small line?

I got into a conversation with a guy who owns one of these Vipers and he pointed that out too. I asked why on Earth would they do that? He said to create pressure and keep fuel in the rail instead of just cycling the fuel through the rail. I can see his point but I dont see how the fuel pump doesnt burn up with so much back pressure. Do they have some sort of regulator or relief switch to run the pump at various voltages?

I don't know but there was some talk about how it returns fuel to a bucket that the pump sits in. The fuel system is definitely way different then GM fuel systems - no vacuum reference to the regulator for one thing.

I just can't get that tiny section of line. It is a full weight Viper going 133 MPH and dynoed over 600 HP - I still can't believe all that was being fed thru a Bic Pen sized section of fuel line! And I mean the ink part not the body of the pen.

That makes the -10 line seem like a total waste for anything less then 2,000 HP

Well from what I remember, the small tiny line is after the fuel has already met the injectors. So it's pretty much just up to the pump to keep consistant pressure and the injectors use most of the fuel instead of pushing it back to the tank. Dont quote me on that though! If that is the case, it's not really feeding the motor with the tiny bit of line, the tiny bit of line is only a small relief for the pump to keep pressure. Does that sound right?

I was told that it is on top of the pump - the discharge and that all the fuel to the engine goes thru that tube - I'll ask for clarification, again.

Oh no kidding?!!! I thought it was pretty crazy to have it as part of the return let alone actually feeding the motor! We need to get some of this technology going on our Buicks!