Fuel injector type/location help (special project)

BlownV6

Ok guys I need help!! I am slowly moving towards completion of my VW Pro Stock engine project. I realize that this is project is completely off the wall and out of the norm. But it is what it is , and until I prove that this will not work Im sticking with this manifold idea. So the problem is I cant decide on where to place the injectors , and have no clue of what style injector to use. The red cap indicates 2 places where Im thinking of putting the injectors. I will also need help with the style of injector to use. Please any help appreciated!! Mike

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 134
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 135
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 144
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 129
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 130
In Norbs thread he posted pics (attached ) of some injectors with fairly long tips. Being that this is my first go at EFI I have never seen injectors with this type of tip , always short stubby tips. I believe that I want long tips to get the injector closer to the center of the port. What are they called?? What kind of options are there?? So many questions. Mike

Attachments

• bosch2.jpg
    bosch2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 102
  • bosch inj.jpg
    bosch inj.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 92
I like the location closer to the valve. Less chance of fuel settling on the walls. I'd go even closer.

Can't remember how long ago,but Kenny Duttweiler did some R&D on injector location and its effects on power and I believe he picked up like 50 HP just moving the injectors. Granted,it was a TT V8 but still that's crazy. Oh and the injectors were closer to the plenum than the valve.

Can't remember how long ago,but Kenny Duttweiler did some R&D on injector location and its effects on power and I believe he picked up like 50 HP just moving the injectors. Granted,it was a TT V8 but still that's crazy. Oh and the injectors were closer to the plenum than the valve.
It would be interesting to know what sort of distances you're talking about.

Over the years I have been around quite a few oddball fuel injected drag engines on the dyno. Basically without question the further away from the valve you get , the more peak HP you make. I have also read over the years that the closer the injector is to the valve the better throttle response you get. Now throttle response is a prised possession in road racing type applications or short track oval applications. This engine will basically be ideling or at full throttle using a clutch so max HP is would be the target. This manifold/air supply manifold is unusual in nature , but it really is just an air supply pipe to the actual manifold. Mech fuel injection companies will tell you that bigger and shorter is better HP. I know I have talked with them all. This setup is basically in my mind a big/short injector with 3.5" air supplies controlled by a single throttle body. Im thinking that I want to use the injector to actually move the air towards the cylinder , and far enough away that the AF combo is at max atomization and cooling effect. Mike

What about injecting upstream?
How far away from the valve would you have to inject to get full atomization and cooling?
Set up multiple injector bosses that you can try out when testing the engine. You certainly have the room. Should be simple for you to make up some plugs that can be used for the bosses that you're not using. I'd be really interested in the upstream injection strategy.

In Norbs thread he posted pics (attached ) of some injectors with fairly long tips. Being that this is my first go at EFI I have never seen injectors with this type of tip , always short stubby tips. I believe that I want long tips to get the injector closer to the center of the port. What are they called?? What kind of options are there?? So many questions. Mike

Mike they are new bosch injectors, but you must use adapters to get them to stock length, they are for the new GM LS3 engines I think, too far in to the sair tream and you may get turbulence, mine are installed at stock height, barely into the port.

What about injecting upstream?
How far away from the valve would you have to inject to get full atomization and cooling?
Set up multiple injector bosses that you can try out when testing the engine. You certainly have the room. Should be simple for you to make up some plugs that can be used for the bosses that you're not using. I'd be really interested in the upstream injection strategy.

I inject upstream on my blown motor , but that has 60# of boost to force the air back towards the valve. I guess that I dont want to be reversing the air flow on a NA motor. Instead Im thinking it will actually help drive the air towards the valve if I can get it pointed in the right direction and location. Any thoughts?? Mike

Mike they are new bosch injectors, but you must use adapters to get them to stock length, they are for the new GM LS3 engines I think, too far in to the sair tream and you may get turbulence, mine are installed at stock height, barely into the port.

What # per hour injectors are those?? I will also be wanting to use NO2 at some point to run VW ProMod so I might want to use big injectors to try to get the timing of the injection at a premium , and allow me to try NO2 dry system.
Direct me where I can look at this( or similar) long tip style injectors and the weld-in bungs. I would like to personally get one injector and bung in my hands to check them out. Thanks Mike

I inject upstream on my blown motor , but that has 60# of boost to force the air back towards the valve. I guess that I dont want to be reversing the air flow on a NA motor. Instead Im thinking it will actually help drive the air towards the valve if I can get it pointed in the right direction and location. Any thoughts?? Mike
I'm looking at the volume and the length of those intake runners and am figuring that if there was any candidate for upstream injecting, this is it. I doubt that you're going to be reversing the airflow in those tubes.
What fuel is this going to be using?

That is one SICK looking motor! Can I borrow one for my Corvair?
Conrad