Fuel Gauge issues

ive seen a few threads but none that could help me exactly, so my fuel gauge works kinda but its inaccurate sometimes it goes to full when i fill the tank but doesnt drop while i drive sometime it does some time it goes way past empty even though there is fuel and when i fill it it only goes half way, my regal has a new fuel pump with a hot wire harness and fuel filter adn everything so i dont think its that

if any one has any idea where to start that would be great also any one have any idea on how to diagnose the tach and boost gauges i know those are common failure points and people generally dont care about them

Could be the ribbon circuit on the back of the instrument cluster to dash harness connection. Could be the sending unit in the tank or connections to the tank harness. Key on push on left side of instrument cluster and see if the fuel gauge moves around if so it very likely the ribbon on the cluster. Other wise check the connections to tank and/or the sending unit itself.

ive seen a few threads but none that could help me exactly, so my fuel gauge works kinda but its inaccurate ..............

About 99% of the time with fuel gauge issues, it is the POS stock sender that probably cost GM $2 for the many million of them they used in the 70's and 80's.

It was never accurate when new, and 30 years later, you are lucky it registers at all?

There is a simple way to check the fuel gauge itself, but most owners do not have a spare sender unit to plug into the harness at the tank and move the float by hand to see what registers on the gauge.

I am not an electrical wizard, but there should be a procedure using a multi-meter to check the signal from or at the tank?

i have a new sender unit with the e85 conversion as far as im aware everything is new in the fuel system except the gauge and cluster lol