Fuel gage going crazy

Art-87TR

231 + 455 = Perfection
Fuel gage mostly gets burried in full, so I banged
on the fuel tank and it went back to normal for a while.

Is this bad sending unit :frown:

The float could have been stuck in the up position. How full was the tank when it corrected?

Could be a bad ground on the sending unit. These things get corroded and sometimes the pipes / wires can break loose from the top mount.

my gauge has been reading strangly too - sounds like the sending unit, it is what i suspect is wrong in my car - only lasted 20 years and 300,000 miles :biggrin:

1/4 tank of gas and the needle is so far full you can't
see it..sometimes it comes back when I come to a stop.

If it had 300k I wouldn't mind either, but this car only
has 17k.. and the sending units are like 300 BUCKS :frown: :frown:

Art-87TR said:
1/4 tank of gas and the needle is so far full you can't
see it..sometimes it comes back when I come to a stop.

If it had 300k I wouldn't mind either, but this car only
has 17k.. and the sending units are like 300 BUCKS :frown: :frown:
well ya didn't get teh 300k miles but i guess it did last the 20 years! :tongue:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you check out some discount auto parts places?

Seems way high for what seems to be a standard thing

Art-87TR said:
......... and the sending units are like 300
I need one also and could not locate one at a 4 parts store/chais.
You can find the fuel tank hanger for the carbureted Regal ($30), but not the one for the EFI Regal. :( The parts are not readily interchangebale.

Talked to some outfit (DANG, wish I remembered who) about a year ago in NJ who stated that; "...... the TR float resistor design type is on of the better ones and hardly ever fails". "Usually, they can be fixed by just taking an eraser on the back of a pencil and rub/clean the wires carefully."

So, ........ I pull the tank down again, cleaned and verified adjustment of the float resistor. (Resistance spec was unknown so it was hard to measure and verify. STILL No change. :( Next, I replaced the fuel gauge ......... STILL NO change. Cleaned the gauge connectors and made sure the tank ground was in working order …….. STILL NO CHANGE!!!

Frustrated, I called a supplier who makes fuel sending units and spoke to their engineering manager about the float resistor (Don’t remember who either ...... DAMN CRS! :eek: ) He stated that; ".... you would need to know the "rise to fall ratio" of the float to know where to even start and was not aware of “anything that would be close” to the TR." Was hoping he would make a few to support this community. Basically ........... no luck :mad:

Maybe one of the TR vendors can make one? CASPERS?

According to the 84 shop manuals you should have 90 ohms when full. My gauge was also acting up too, it was reading full when I only had a partial tank. I filled it up competely :( and it read full when it actually was, that seemed to calibrate it. I drove 211 miles since then and I have a 1/2 of tank on my guage which sounds about right.

Attachments

• fuel guage.jpg
    fuel guage.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 115
Well, I already have a new FP on the way so I'll be dropping the
tank in about a week and see what I can find :confused:

The gage lives again!! :biggrin: It wasn't that bad to repair, as long as the coil
is not broken.. theres only a couple of contact points.. Mine had a layer of varnes
on them that I cleaned with my wifes nile file :rolleyes: .. And the two spring loaded scews are the adjustment 0-90 ohms