fuel explosion in SI...

orion681

Too fast?...I think not!
Im surprised that noone has said anything about this. 4 million gallons of unleaded fuel exploded yesterday in staten island on a barge while the barrels were being unloaded. they were getting them off the ship and into storage for distribution when it happened. they say only 2 died. im at least 40 miles from that and the explosion shook buildings around here! you could see the smoke from around here too. pretty crazy stuff.

Greg,

I love those pictures of the old raceway, man I wish I had the money to fix it up again and redo it. It almost brings tears to your eyes seeing it. I have never been there but I have seen it on tv. We have a track here like that.

just to clarify....

The "100,000 barrels" of gasoline is a unit of measurement. There aren't actual barrels. 1 barrel = 42 U.S. Gallons. The liquid is pumped to/from ocean going barges and ships to/from shore tanks. I've been watching this very closely since this is what I do on a daily basis for ChevronTexaco. Actually lucky that only 2 were killed in a blast that size. Obviously not lucky for those 2 but it could've been much,much worse.

Re: just to clarify....

Originally posted by SinistrV6
The "100,000 barrels" of gasoline is a unit of measurement. There aren't actual barrels. 1 barrel = 42 U.S. Gallons. The liquid is pumped to/from ocean going barges and ships to/from shore tanks. I've been watching this very closely since this is what I do on a daily basis for ChevronTexaco. Actually lucky that only 2 were killed in a blast that size. Obviously not lucky for those 2 but it could've been much,much worse.

haha. i never knew that barrels were a unit of measurement.:p dont i feel stupid. and yes, even though 2 died, at least it wasnt 200 or something crazy. exxon just keeps messing up.

no need to feel stupid...

Just mark that as something new that you learned today. I try to learn at least one new thing everyday, even if it's something small! Besides, unless you're in the oil business who'd ever use that unit of measure. CNN should clarify that when they broadcast (if they know!);)

and i always thought a barrel was 55 gal.
then noticed barrels of fuel and chemicals that contained 54 gal.
now it's down to 42 gal.

Steve,
Just checked VP's website and their drum of racing gasoline is listed at 54 gallons. So, I think your typical "55 Gallon Drum" is just what it's called. For liquid transfer, though it's definitely 42 U.S. gallons I don't know why they're different but I'd guess that maybe eons ago storage barrels were smaller and the measurement "stuck" at 42 gallons. Just a guess.

I think its because 54 US callons = ~43 imperial gallons. SOmething like that

This is strange...I live on Staten Island, maybe 5 miles from the explosion and I didn't hear anything. I slept through the whole thing.

I believe beer would be another substance measured in barrels. While a petroleum barrel is 42 us gallons, a beer barrel is 33 us gallons. 1 barrel = 2 kegs. Learned that at the Abita Brewery! Great tour there.

John