Fuel Cell

oneg360

Super "Mario" Monjet
Has anyone here installed the new fuel cell that fits the Spare tire hole in the trunk? Im thinking of using it for my Alky Injection I hate the little tank under the hood I have to figure out a way to install a low fuel sensor.

This fuel cell is custom-molded from high quality Cross-Link Polypropylene HPDE and is specifically designed to fit the spare tire well of the GM G-Body. The cell holds 6.2 gallons and weighs less than 8 lbs.

Product ID: MET-FC
Metco Wheel Well Fuel Cell, external pump

Cotton's Performance

Here is my installation thread on how I did mine.............. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...tech/305551-metco-fuel-cell-install-pics.html

You need to find one with a brass fitting in the sump outlet though as methanol will corrode the steel one. If you have an Alkycontrol system Julio can set you up with extended wiring harnesses, hoses and check valve needed to do this. I also used his transducer to log the methanol pressure with the powerlogger.

Thanks for the advice i'm going to try and take this on my self I just ordered the tank so ill keep you guys posted on my progress.

Here's the thread that I copped the mod from......
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...ech/223323-whats-better-than-alkycontrol.html
Some pics of my install are in there as well. I've since cleaned up the feed line routing but other than that it is the same and has not given me any issues. It would be great to find the Metco cell with the brass insert but at the time when I bought mine they were all steel. Metco may have corrected this issue since but in my case they just exchanged mine for one with the steel insert that wasn't drilled through the cell completely and they supplied a brass bulkhead fitting that I installed myself. No big deal. Love the mod BTW!

Nice set ups. I want to do the same, except I read the Metco tanks are no more? or did they resume production? Also how much were the extra lines and wiring from Razor to run to the rear of the car?

I got mine from a member of the board for a great price but I know some vendors still have them on their sites so guess they are still available?? Suggest you contact Julio at http://alkycontrol.com/ for pricing on what you need to extend everything for the rear tank.

I just purchased mine from Jegs, also contacted Metco and the don'toffer them with brass anymore.

What's more, Metco says they don't intend to make anymore of them with the brass fittings. In fact they claim to have sold the last one on the shelf just a few weeks ago. :mad:

Plus the fittings are molded into the tank. Meaning it's probably about like finding hens teeth to replace the non brass fittings with brass fittings.

So if you have one with the molded in brass fittings, it just became a sought after item. Hey maybe you can flip it on eGay for twice what you paid for it...

I have to wonder if brass is just too good or too expensive or what....always seems when someone starts making a good thing they quickly cease production. :mad:

That's just like shooting yourself in the foot. How much more could it possibly cost to just use brass fittings?????

...I have to wonder if brass is just too good or too expensive or what....always seems when someone starts making a good thing they quickly cease production. :mad:

Metco has offered the G-body fuel cells since 2002. There has been multiple large production runs since that date.

In one or two of the runs, the brass outlet fitting was unavailable and a comparable steel fitting was substituted. This substitution was made before the use of these tanks as an alky reservoir became popular. Only recently has it become an issue for some users.

Due to the cost of the manufacturing process (they are made in USA) and the complexity involved, and the fact that it is completely impractical to make just 5 or 10, Metco has no plans to produce more of these. However, you can still purchase them new from a stocking distributor like G-Body Parts.

Metco has offered the G-body fuel cells since 2002. There has been multiple large production runs since that date.

In one or two of the runs, the brass outlet fitting was unavailable and a comparable steel fitting was substituted. This substitution was made before the use of these tanks as an alky reservoir became popular. Only recently has it become an issue for some users.

Due to the cost of the manufacturing process (they are made in USA) and the complexity involved, and the fact that it is completely impractical to make just 5 or 10, Metco has no plans to produce more of these. However, you can still purchase them new from a stocking distributor like G-Body Parts.

Actually we are getting low on them as well Rick. We may have to think about doing another run. With that size fitting I think it would take a long time for the metahanol to eat away at it. We install a brass reducing fitting in there any way to step down to the pump feed line.

So I ordered my Fuel Cell from Cottons and I dropped shipped it to Julio @ Alky Control and he is going to Modify it for me and set it up to work properly for my car so I'll keep you guys posted on how it comes out.