FS: '87 GN w/Tops

Brutal87

More Money Than Brains
1987 Buick Grand National T-Tops
1G4GJ117XHP439802

The time has come to sell the Grand National. The Wife has been very sick & I just don’t have the money & time to work on it any more. I have only put about 50 miles on this car since I bought it last year. This car runs VERY strong I blew a head gasket on the drivers side & I replaced it with a Felpro 1000. The car ran great but the cheap head gasket is starting to leak. The cylinders are holding compression & plugs are dry. It’s leaking in the coolant passage. This is a very solid & rust free car. The paint is in great shape & the tops don’t leak. All & all the car is in great shape. I hide nothing. Back on 10/11/1994 the car was recovered from a theft. It had 22,746 miles on it. The Insurance company rebuilt the car. It has passed any & all inspections since. You can run it or I can give you a copy of the CarFax report. It has a “Rebuilt” title which is valid title that is transferable in all states with no problems. You must see this car to appreciate. No disappointments.

100_2242.jpg

100_2243.jpg

Stock Buick 3.8L SFI Turbo (40K mile GM crate engine)
Stock camshaft, lifters, and timing chain
High-volume high-pressure oil pump

Heads:
Stock port matched
1.77” 1.50” SS Manley valves
Crower 80lb valve springs
ARP Pro Head bolts

Intake:
Stock ported Intake
62mm throttle body

Induction system:
TE-51 turbo w/.63 PTE exhaust and polished compressor housing
Charged Air Systems V4 stretch stock location intercooler
High Boost Adjustable waste gate actuator
3" BGC chrome MAF pipe
LS1 3.5" MAF Sensor with Translator
9” K&N with 3.5" inlet air filter
K&N valve cover breathers
Chrome up-pipe with sneeze valve
Chrome turbo cover
ATR Cyclops air dam

Fuel system:
Walbro GSS 340m in tank fuel pump
Casper Electronics fuel pump hot wire
Accufab billet aluminum fuel pressure regulator
MSD 50lb fuel injectors

Ignition system:
Accel Coil
AC spark plugs gapped 0.035”

Exhaust system:
Stock ceramic-coated headers
Terry Houston 3” down pipe
3” test pipe with dump tube
ATR Stainless Steel 2 ½” dual exhaust
ATR 2 ½” aluminized Pit Bull Mufflers

Cooling system:
Stock cooling fan with resistor by-passed
160 thermostat
B&M transmission cooler

Transmission:
BRF TH200R-4
Stock D5 torque converter
Hardened stator
Stock clutches with extra clutch
B&M Transpak

Suspension:
Stock 8.5 w/3.42 gears rear end
Air bags in rear coils
ATR Pinion snubber
Poly front sway bar bushings and end links
Driveshaft Loop
Stock GN wheels
235/60/15 BFG radial T/A

Body:
Energy Suspension poly body bushings
GM Front frame braces
BGC Rear seat braces
Jay’s GN Front fender braces

Engine Management:
Stock ECM
BstC Boost Command in-car boost controller
Extender Chip

Tuning and monitoring equipment:
Scanmaster II scan tool
Mini tach
VDO 30lb boost gauge
VDO oil pressure gauge
VDO temperature gauge
VDO voltage gauge

$7000 obo. I live in Minooka, IL. 60447

Thanks
Carl

How many miles are on the car? Why do you think it keeps blowing head gaskets? Is the car running lean? What all entailed on the damage the car recieved that caused it to have to be REBUILT? How nice is the paint? I may be interested but would like some more detail! Thanks again! -----Jeremy

jdpolzin said:
How many miles are on the car? Why do you think it keeps blowing head gaskets? Is the car running lean? What all entailed on the damage the car received that caused it to have to be REBUILT? How nice is the paint? I may be interested but would like some more detail! Thanks again! -----Jeremy

81,000 on the body and around 50,00 on the driveline. The first headgagket blew due to too much boost.

100_2160.jpg

100_2159.jpg

I pulled the top 1/2 of the motor off & put in a new Felpro 1000 gasket. I didn't use any sealer on the gasket. I also used the TTY bolts that were on there. I since installed new ARP Pro bolts & used loctite 567 on them. Too late, it leaks a little from the coolant passage. When I did the 1st headgasket change, I flushed out the engine & now I only use water as coolant.

I am not the original owner. But from what I understand, back in '94 it was taken. The stock motor was pulled out. That's why it was a rebuild. The pain is VERY nice. This is not a rattle trap whooped regal. This car is VERY tight & the Trans is flawless. I would keep it & just change the headgaskets but I need to take care of my Wife.

The drivers side door pull is missing the cover & has a little chip. (I have the screw back on)

100_1494.jpg

The speaker grill on the drivers side has a crack. I didn't even see it when I bought it because it has a GN dash cover on it.

Thats it.. After the headgaskets are done, This car should run like a champ. I hate to see it go. I always wanted a GN. :(

Some Interior Pics.

The car is on a jack right now in the garage. (Oil drain) So the pics are a little dark.

100_2483.jpg

100_2486.jpg

100_2484.jpg

100_2493.jpg

100_2497.jpg

100_2496.jpg

100_2495.jpg

100_2494.jpg

100_2507.jpg

Damn nice car

I paid 9200.0 For my t-top w/68000 mile your's is much nicer.

DAve

Or was before all my improvements! :biggrin:

Do you have engine pics and cna you check the bottom of the doors and cowl for rust?

2bseen said:
Do you have engine pics and cna you check the bottom of the doors and cowl for rust?

I have a few under door pics. No rust, just dirt. :)

100_2555.jpg

100_2558.jpg

I'll have more pics this weekend of the entire car when I can get it out of the garage & in the sun. :)

2bseen said:
It still needs a head gasket right? and does it run now.

The VIN is posted in the first post. I'll have pics this weekend. Yes it will start but the headbolts on the drivers side are leaking collant into the valve cover. I would not drive it with it mixing with the oil.

I am quite interested... I've always wanted a GN, too, and it seems like a fair price given the apparent condition. Sorry to hear about your wife.

I'm located in central Iowa... about 5 hours away according to Mapquest. The main obstacles are that I don't have an ideal tow rig (though adequate--94 Astro with ~5500 lb towing capacity), have a meeting at 4:30 pm Sunday, and will be traveling basically all of next week for my day job. According to U-Haul's website I could get a tow dolley for $40... don't seem to give prices online for full trailers, though (which I would definitely prefer). If everything checks out and I decide to give it a go, would you be around Saturday afternoon/evening and/or Sunday morning? I would definitely want to talk to you (and preferably see engine pics) before making the trip, but if our schedules won't jive it's irrelevant.

Please email info to steve@stevesmobilemusic.com, or try me on my cell at 515-460-3736. Look forward to hearing from you.