front timing cover leak

pm87tb

I have a leak at the timing cover it seams to coming from the dowel pin on the driverside. I there i easy way to fix this? I have oil leaking from there and i want to take care of it.

Thanks

Just take the cover off and put on a new gasket and use RTV...check to make sure the flange is flat in that area if not you might have to get a flat head hammer, like a tack hammer and flatten that one section over a piece of flat steel like the flat spot on a vise.. You could even use a small head of a flat head bolt and a regular hammer to do this .. then put a straight edge up against the flange to make sure it is flat... yes I know it is a lot of work just to get this thing off the motor but you have no choice..

I have a leak at the timing cover it seams to coming from the dowel pin on the driverside. I there i easy way to fix this? I have oil leaking from there and i want to take care of it.

Thanks

If you're talking about the dowel pin on the crank sensor. Mine was leaking at the exact same spot. Turned out not to be leaking from the dowel pin but the bolt above it which is the top crank sensor bolt. That bolt passes through the timing chain cover and if it's not tight, oil will leak around the gasket. I put some RTV around down in the hole a little and tighted it up pretty good (mine was a little loose). Leak stopped. Pull your crank pully and you can see better. I was thinking it was the dowel pin for a couple of weeks. Once I pulled the crank pully I could see everything better. Hope this helps.

Just take the cover off and put on a new gasket and use RTV...check to make sure the flange is flat in that area if not you might have to get a flat head hammer, like a tack hammer and flatten that one section over a piece of flat steel like the flat spot on a vise.. You could even use a small head of a flat head bolt and a regular hammer to do this .. then put a straight edge up against the flange to make sure it is flat... yes I know it is a lot of work just to get this thing off the motor but you have no choice..
The cover is aluminum.. Not a SBC cover. You don't beat it w/ a hammer.:D
Many times the cover is cracked at the dowel when it was put on crooked.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...569-timing-cover-oil-leak-hairline-crack.html

When I got it back I test fitted the cover and saw it was ever-so-slightly off by looking at how the crank seal was centered on the crank (a little off). I had to drill the dowl pin holes just slightly oversize to center the crank seal perfectly. Also good to have a machine shop check for perfect flatness of gasket flange. So far it has not leaked 1 drop in over 2 years.

Mike

Been away for a while .. Just now getting back to my post, guess i will have to pull the front cover and check it out...

Thanks