Front sway bars

tom h

I'm interested in replacing the 87's stock solid swaybar with a Camaro hollow sway bar, mainly for some weight savings. Car will also be getting an rear HR Parts 'n Stuff swaybar (bought but not yet installed). Car is not a daily driver, is infrequently driven, and will get a few dragstrip visits per year.

There were many Camaro sway bar designs -- 36mm seems to be the most widely used, but should other sizes be considered if the goal is "stock replacement"?

For the 1982-92 Camaros, the list includes :
  • 27mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer 14019268
  • 30mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer 14047916
  • 32mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer 14047917
  • 34mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer 14094339
  • 34mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer-85 (??) 14073013
  • 36mm Dia Bar, Stabilizer 14094344
I also get conflicting and multiple part #s for the new brackets and rubber bushings, any help on these part #s would be appreciated.

I think all the swaybars and bushings are still available new, which is my preference -- no junk yards in my area and not where i want to spend my day, either ;)

I've also read some posts where "good" results were had by using rear HR swaybar alone, and just eliminating front sway bar. Is this a wise idea for a street driven car , even a garage princess?

You can use your stock brackets with Moog part #K6459 bushings. I have one on my car, 36mm sway bar weighs 6 lbs. less than stock TR. I did this to offset the heavier LS1 front brakes, they weigh 18 lbs more than stock. I sell these sway bars used for $65.00 plus shipping. You can run no sway bar at all, but car will lean more on corners. We found no difference in 60 ft. times with or without bar. I have the 1&3/8" rear bar also with umi lower arms. .

The 34mm hollow bar is probably close to the stock bar in stiffness, and is lighter than the 36mm hollow bar. You may have to dig into the F body forums to find out for sure which part number is the hollow bar- or maybe it's in the parts catalogs that way.