Front suspension to do list

diomedes

So Im riding down the road and I hear the car drop something metal followed with a slight clacking sound coming from the tire. I think, this doesnt sound good, let me pull over and review this. I found two bolts broken off, meaning my wheel is on with only 3 lugs :eek: . Luckily they were staggered and the neighborhood near by was bad so I risked it and limped home into the driveway. That was a long 45 min let me tell you. :eek: (is it possible to over tighten a lug??? I know Im strong but not "tough man" strong)

I was planning on doing the S10 brake conversion anyways, just now its sooner than later. While under there just curious if there was any other issues I may want to address. I searched forums but could only find brake stuff. List what you ever you can think of, even if its elementry, as I can sometimes not be very thorough.

1. S10 Assembly

1. upper/lower ball joints
2. control arm bushing-upper/lower OR (if extra money) tubular upper(s) with bushings for the lowers
3. tie-rods (enders-outers)
4. springs
This is a start list----from here.....MONEY is the limit!!!!!
When a tubro car comes into the shop, this is the "starting list" that we suggest to the owner.
GO luck!!!!

have pics will send

The swap is easy and very straighforward. You will need the s-10 components (spindle, bearing assembly, studs, caliper, rotor, pads), also you might want to check on the G-body front brake lines. They are a pretty good bang for the buck item. If it is in the budget you may as well go ahead and replace springs, shocks, and bushings while you have the front end apart. BE CAREFUL with the springs, they can be a handful. I used a spring compressor because the engine was out and did not have enough weight on the front end. Other than the spring compressor, the tool requirements are easy enough.

Once you begin reassembling don't forget the cotter pins, overtightening the castle nuts will leave the new assembly difficult to move. I put everything back in place and am taking it to a front end shop to torque, realign and double check everything. Don't want the front end to come apart half way down the track!

V8Assassin the pics would be awesome, send them to my email diomedesdiaz86@hotmail.com.

Should I just do OEM springs or are there any upgraded Road and Track springs I could consider?

Why go with tubular uppers?

And are there better bushings than OEM?

V8Assassin the pics would be awesome, send them to my email diomedesdiaz86@hotmail.com.

Should I just do OEM springs or are there any upgraded Road and Track springs I could consider?

Why go with tubular uppers?

And are there better bushings than OEM?

Let's try to get these in order.

Pics Sent to email shortly.

Springs depend on if you want to lower and how fast you are planning on going. If you are staying OEM, Moog makes good replacements.

Tubular uppers, like G-bodies, have better bushings, I used them on my upgrade but have not completed. Will let you know how they ride. There are certainly enough people who choose to stay stock, and I am sure they would all say stock is absolutely great.

Yes, there are better bushings out there, I used the ones that came with the G-body upper and lowers. Energy suspension makes good replacements.

AT LEAST do the upper bushings on both sides. I guarantee the pass side uppers are smoked. Not a whole lotta work involved either. Moog also has these bushings.