front suspension limiters

northerngn

Master Monkeywrench
Does or has anyone here limited front suspension travel to get the tires off the ground a bit better?
Just noticed after racing my front has to go really high before a lift a tire...
Maybe limiting the suspension will help?
Maybe just leave it alone?
pic attached
gettin it.jpg

-Dan

Not exactly understanding what you're trying to figure out here Dan. Are you trying to get better traction or just pop a wheelie?

Not exactly understanding what you're trying to figure out here Dan. Are you trying to get better traction or just pop a wheelie?
i guess what i am asking is when i have taken and seen pics of many similar cars launching it seems that their front suspension does not hang down as far as mine...these are also way faster cars and figured they are doing this for a reason...just want to know the reasoning behind it and if it will help my 60 foot at all or if i should just leave well enough alone... my car does do a wheelie its just very small...looking to increase 60 foot times for more et...that pics was a 15lb boost launch 1.55 60 foot ill post another pic i have from the same weekend
dangle.jpg

Limiting front suspension travel is a chassis tuning tool. As you stated, it is the faster cars that can benefit the most from limiting front suspension travel. Having more travel promotes weight transfer and will allow the front end to pop up easier on the lower powered cars.
With a faster car, having the front end pop up too high can become a problem, so the travel is limited to help keep the front end from popping up too high. There is typically a provision that allows the chassis tuner to finely adjust the amount of front end travel. It can be a touchy adjustment on a fast car when trying to get the right amount of weight transfer, traction and front end rise to produce the quickest 60' time.
Actually, there are a multitude of other variables that play into adjusting the chassis for the best launch with a faster car. Limiting the front end travel is just one of the items.

Can you leave with more boost? Footbrake or T- brake?
If the suspension is setup in a manner where the tires are planted properly, the instant center is reasonable, then limiting the front suspension will allow you to leave harder without popping the front end too high (massive wheelie). Shock adjustments also play a part. How you leave the line has got to be consistent, though. Pick a power level to leave the line with and adjust the chassis to that power level.

As Don said. The faster cars have to limit travel to keep from doing a wheelie. Limiting your front travel can improve your 60' times but you also have to have enough weight transfer to allow you to limit the travel. Only way to know if you can get away with it is to limit the travel and see what the car does. If it spins you know your not getting enough weight on the rear tires. Moving weight to the back will help......things like rear battery location. Then you have to get the weight off the nose. Glass bumper and hood. Light tires, brakes and control arms. To hook a car with less front travel will require a higher % of the total weight to be on the rear of the car.

If you continue to raise power at the launch to the point where you're loosing traction, and still the front end is only popping a small wheelie, then it would make absolutely no sense to tie down (restrict) the front end travel.
If you're able to maintain good traction at the higher launch power levels, and the wheelies are getting out of hand, then limiting the front end travel and/or playing with adjustable shock settings will make sense.

As Don said. The faster cars have to limit travel to keep from doing a wheelie. Limiting your front travel can improve your 60' times but you also have to have enough weight transfer to allow you to limit the travel. Only way to know if you can get away with it is to limit the travel and see what the car does. If it spins you know your not getting enough weight on the rear tires. Moving weight to the back will help......things like rear battery location. Then you have to get the weight off the nose. Glass bumper and hood. Light tires, brakes and control arms. To hook a car with less front travel will require a higher % of the total weight to be on the rear of the car.

I agree I am already looking into take weight off the front, and the batter in already in the spare tire well...makes perfect sense

If you continue to raise power at the launch to the point where you're loosing traction, and still the front end is only popping a small wheelie, then it would make absolutely no sense to tie down (restrict) the front end travel.
If you're able to maintain good traction at the higher launch power levels, and the wheelies are getting out of hand, then limiting the front end travel and/or playing with adjustable shock settings will make sense.

Ok then I will leave it alone as I am at lower power levels and wheelies are very small and nowhere near out of control...Thanks guys!

Stage right trans brake and i can try more boost maybe 18 next time then 20...

You're not alone, mine won't lift anymore either. Hope you have the good stuff in place. Im still using the foot brake and doing damage to the car and my bank account!! At this rate it looks to expensive to lift them LOL!

Attachments

• gldtesting.jpg
    gldtesting.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG1246.jpg
    IMAG1246.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG1226.jpg
    IMAG1226.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMAG1196.jpg
    IMAG1196.jpg