Front shock/suspension issues

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Tried to tackle my front end rebuild today. Got the sway bar end links out and installed new tie rods, center link and idler arm. Tried to get the shocks off to replace control arms and ball joints, but the lower shock bolts just continue spinning but won't come out. Tried to turn the top mount but the entire rod spins and the Bilsteins on the car don't have an Allen head on the top. I tired vice grips on the top bolt, but it still turned.

It doesn't look good....am I going to have to cut the shock off? Should I try to get a small grinder or cutoff wheel in there and cut the lower bolts off? My 4" cutoff wheel won't fit in there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just tackled mine recently and learned a lot......of pain.
The lower shock bolts are probably spinning because they tighten into a gm body nut clip. If the body nut clip has slipped or stripped and no longer holds securely to the lower arm, it will just spin. I had to replace one of the four of mine. Any auto parts store has them. What a dumb design.
As far as the top shock nut. What a pain. After trying to get mine off for an hour, and no manner of vice grip could stop the shaft from spinning, I finally used a sawzall. Felt really good to cut that sucker out. When I did the other side, I wasted no time. I cut the shock right off in 5 minutes versus fighting with it for an hour.
Hope this helps.

But doesn't it ruin the shock? I really don't want to destroy a perfectly good pair of Bilsteins.

But doesn't it ruin the shock? I really don't want to destroy a perfectly good pair of Bilsteins.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were replacing them. The ones I cut off mine were very old Monroe's that wouldn't budge. Yes, that will ruin them.
Not sure what else to do. Maybe let that top nut soak with penetrating oil overnight?

At this point a torch may be your best friend. Soak the nut and shaft in some sort of penetrating oil and use an impact to try and get the nut loose. If it doesn't come off then you'll end up screwing the shock up getting it off. Not pretty but sometimes it happens.

Dremel tool with a reinforced cut off wheel. Cut a slot in the nut (not all through to the shock threads), stick a large screwdriver into the slot and twist to split the nut.

Stuff like this is why Texas cars>than non Texas cars. One of my Miatas is from illinois, and my dremel gets a lot of use.

Haha thanks! I hate illinois but my business does well here. I'd rather not own a Midwest car but we bought it new and I just can't part with it.