Front frame braces with stretch SLIC

Undercover87T

Maryland MAGNA Rep
Staff member
Anyone using front frame braces with a stretch SLIC? I have a 23 row Gbodyparts intercooler and Kirban's braces don't clear, even after making spacers for them. Seems like the only option I see to strengthen the front end would be the under hood fender braces.

My cutlass came stock with the frame braces and i have a PTE SLIC installed. Clearance is tight but works and does fit.

Anyone using front frame braces with a stretch SLIC? I have a 23 row Gbodyparts intercooler and Kirban's braces don't clear, even after making spacers for them. Seems like the only option I see to strengthen the front end would be the under hood fender braces.
Or you could use a plate with 4 holes in it: 2 inner holes to secure the plate to the frame and 2 outer holes to secure the braces to the plate. It would look like this:

______
/0 0 0 0\
______

I bought a PTE SLIC from a guy on here who was nice enough to give me this plate with the SLIC.

That's actually what I made out of a 1in block of aluminum. Passenger side is right up against the intercooler and the driver's side is off by at least an inch. I could make it work but I question how strong this would be with the bars spaced way out on a plate like that.

Dunno?
Guess I'm lucky, cause my Kirban lower frame braces fit with my Precison SLIC.

Just saying.

I think the Gbody/GN1 stretch is deeper than other SLIC's and that's why they don't fit.

hello people; Here's my 2 cents. In my case Kirbans braces did not fit with the PT&E. I wouldn't take much to produce one that would. If I remember correctly only one of the two braces didn't fit. I believe it was the one on the right looking at the front of the car. Kirban came on to say it wasn't worth it to make just one of the two as I suggested.
Another suggestion I had was to SC&C was to sell there brace unasembled and you had to get it welded up. With there brace you have to cut out the cross pc. and relocate it. It took some work but I had it done and I like it. There brace comes all coated so it sucks to cut it up. I got no answer back but I thought it was a good idea. When you hold there brace it makes the others look like toothpicks.
have fun
IBBY

I just welding on a piece of steel to the passenger side brace so it would fit with the Precision slic. No biggie. Those braces help but they are not like your welding bars in to make the frame rigid and tying into a roll cage.

Took my passenger side brace to a friend who is a excellent machinist. He bent the bar in his machine and works nice.

Your making it harder then it has to be. I sold Hawkfan the PTE and I made the plate. It's more then strong enough. If your getting enough flex to bend an 1/8 steel plate...you have other issues. It took me 15 min to make that plate. It's simple.
Hawkfan will tell you, it fits real nice and is very strong.

image-2481616957.jpg

I just bolted one side to frame, marked where it rubbed, cut with hacksaw 3/4 through the tube bent it to fit then welded it closed. fits like a glove..

hello; HIJACK!! speaking of fitting like a glove. How about a 36mm sway bar? I tried to get answers but no luck. People say they used the stock brackets with a new 36mm bushing like the one Kirbans sells. But I got the pr. and I don't see how? The bushing don't sit right in the bracket IMO but I get answers like it works. The bushing is not rubber and I can't see it squishing that far.
help me out to those that have done it.
IBBY

I opened up the bracket holes some and squished the bracket a little. Worked OK for me.

hello; speaking of stock SB brackets. Is there a bushing that fills the brackets?? I bought a pr. of new GM brackets and to look at them theres two like cylindrical areas in them so a bushing that seem to be all not that shape will not fill the bracket. Are there any bushings out there that has that shape?
IBBY

hello; speaking of stock SB brackets. Is there a bushing that fills the brackets?? I bought a pr. of new GM brackets and to look at them theres two like cylindrical areas in them so a bushing that seem to be all not that shape will not fill the bracket. Are there any bushings out there that has that shape?
IBBY
Start a new thread and post some pics.

Your making it harder then it has to be. I sold Hawkfan the PTE and I made the plate. It's more then strong enough. If your getting enough flex to bend an 1/8 steel plate...you have other issues. It took me 15 min to make that plate. It's simple.

View attachment 181160
Thanks for the replies. That gives me a better idea what I need to make.

My G body stretch rubbed one brace, so I dented it with a sledge, repainted, and called it a day. I actually documented it in my build thread.

coach said:

Ok guys,
I was asked to make a plate for another member and had stock for 2.
I have one left for sale...POST HERE...THEN PM ME. $30.

Thanks
Coach