front end diving after lowering springs intalled

pat boertmann

Hi, just wanted to know if someone else has had a similar problem. I installed summit racing brand lowering springs front and rear with kyb gr2 shocks. The handling has been much better but the front end dives pretty hard on hard braking. Has anyone else had issues with these springs possibly being too soft and are there any recommendations on some stiffer springs? By the way, my drivetrain is a sbc with a t56 trans.

Sounds like the rear brakes aren't working right. Have you done anything else to the car so far?

You speak of a sbc which is heavier than a v6 Buick. You might need to reassess your spring choice as they could be too soft for the weight they are carrying.

The design of the spring is generic for a G-body car, unfortunately Summit doesnt provide any more info. I have a ford 9 nine inch rearend with a proportioning valve. I dont believe its a brake problem. Just pressing down on the front of the car the springs seem very soft. After reading some posts, Im considering Detroit speed springs, any opinions on these?

Oh, and by the way, my car is an 86 cutlass for anyone fuming at the idea of putting an sbc in place of the 3.8 turbo motor. As a matter of fact, I am in the process of putting together a buick motor to replace the chevy motor.

got a link to the springs you got?
i was just looking up lowering springs for my Camaro on the Summit site the other day, and they had all the specs for the springs- free height, installed height, coil diameter, spring rate, etc.- listed..

The DSE springs should help, but I think you would do better changing the KYB shocks.
Check with Scot at GNS Performance. He can hook you up with the springs, or better yet, some RideTech shocks that would definitely solve your problem.

Hi Pat,

Your problem is most likely the spring rate is all you did was change out the springs and now it's diving ...

We are an authorized dealer for the following companies listed in our signature and we would be happy to help solve your problem.
DSE & Ridetech both have suspension kits for your 86 cutlass that will eliminate your problem...

Thanks guys. Is there any issues with the kyb Gr2s? I was under the impression that they are qaulity shocks. I cannot find the specs on the summit website.

The KYB struts for the 97-04 W bodies (GS) are pretty popular, but the shocks for the G bodies are not overly popular.
Bilstein's, Koni's, DSE, RideTech, and others are all more popular (and work much better).