Friends GN vs. New Evo

Purdue Pete

The scene was too sweet. Saturday night of the Nats in Bowling Green. We had just finished riding the go karts at Race World, and heading back to the Scottish Inn, when a brand new Lanser Evolution pulls up behind me. I was driving a good friend's low 12 second GN with race gas and 19 to 20 lbs of boost and all we could hear from this guy was him gun the throttle and let off causing the turbo to blow off. At first, we couldn't do anything because of traffic, but as we were about to turn off to go to the hotel, the next light turned red with no traffic in front of either of us. I had 3 other guys in the car with me and the Evo only had the driver (he couldn't have weighed any more than 140 lbs.) So we pulled up to the light and as the other light started to turn red, I started boosting up. I probably boosted to 7 or 8 lbs and started pushing through the front brakes. As the light turned green, we both went to full throttle. I immeditatly lit the tires and started going sideways. He stayed right with me until he had to shift into second, which he missed. About that time, the tires hooked and we were gone. I walked away from him as if he was standing still. Then I slowed down and pulled into the Advance Auto Parts parking lot and he followed me in. The kid turned out to be really cool. He had done a few things to the Evo, boost controller, exhaust, up pipe, etc. He was really impressed by the performance of the mighty GN.

Just thought you all might like to know.

Good kill.I love it when a 16+ year old buick with three people in it can waste one of the best the fast and furious crowd has to offer.
Also think about how slow he would have been if he had a couple of extra people in it.
You think weight affects our cars just try a 4 cylinder.
Glad he wasn't one of the wastes that just got mad.At least you can give him credit for that even if he needs better taste in cars.:)

Good kill. The new Lancers aren't slow. There's one out here that's run 13.4 bone stock down to the tires. 300hp+AWD in a fairly light car is pretty deadly to most cars on the street. I bet they don't respond to boltons as well as some turbo cars. They already have a 16G turbo, FM IC, and 19.5psi boost from the factory. But for a stock car they're pretty nice.

Great kill, correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the Lancer Evo sold in the US are rated at 271hp not 300hp.:)

Nice story but what heck is a LANCER EVO? Who makes & where does this beast come from? I must be out of tune but I just don't follow the new stuff anymore.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
Nice story but what heck is a LANCER EVO? Who makes & where does this beast come from? I must be out of tune but I just don't follow the new stuff anymore.
I dunno if I'd call it a beast...but its a Mitsubishi. The car is a Lancer w/ a turbo AWD setup. I think the Lancers have been around in the US for a couple years, but up until now hardly any Evo's. This one's called the Evo 7 or somethin, coz there were some before it. I *think* most of that info is correct, one of my import buddies was telling me about them over a year ago so I might be a little off. But here's a couple pics I took of one at the Chi-town Auto Show: the side da front

the Evo is RATED at 276...this is the max rating allowed from japan, no cars are allowed to be rated above 276hp. The Evo makes closer to 300-305 hp at the wheels!

I think they call it just Lancer Evolution In the states since it is the first one legally imported.In japan it would be the evo VIII.It is rated at 271 in the states.Yes it is rated at 276 and puts out more like 300 in japan.But the USA gets a detuned version due to emissions and bad gas. The us version runs 13.08 with a good driver.

The problem is that these cars is that you have to rev the heck out of them and then drop the clutch due to yhe fact that they make very little power and will bogg at any clutch drop of less then about 4000 rpm's.I can see very many broken parts in there futures.Also just add a couple of friends and you might as well hang it up.It will definitly bogg and break parts.

I think I'll stick to my buick lot's of room lots of torque.And less breakage.

Onlyneed6,

On the Mitsubishi Motors web site the Evo is 271hp. The dealerships in my area confirm. The one in Japan may be 276 closer to 300 but the one sold in the US is 271. The only reason I'm sure of this is because this is the last year my GN will be used as a daily driver. I'm forced to buy a second car as a daily. I narrowed my search to the Evo or WRXsti and I put my order in for a WRXsti which is at 300hp. Either way they are both dissapointing compared to the GN.:D

Japan uses JIS HP readings and we use SAE HP ratings.

276 JIS HP is very close to 271 SAE HP. I'm guessing Mitsu didn't want to be sued for false HP advertising by saying it had 276 HP.

Ford and Mazda have both been sued for false HP advertising.

Hey, Pete, good story man! :D Since I own the car, it was an especially nice kill. It feels totally different when you are a PASSENGER instead of a DRIVER. I loved the sound of that guys blow-off valve, but I loved the sound of you blowing the tires off my car even better.

Thanks for helping all of our drunk a$$es out that night. Coming off the Buick weekend and partying that night a bit, that race was just what we needed to cap off the weekend.

Blow off valve ?

I want a blow off valve, they sound cool. Anyone else install a blowoff valve ? Not sure if its possible anyways just wondering.

Re: Blow off valve ?

Originally posted by microELVIS
I want a blow off valve, they sound cool. Anyone else install a blowoff valve ? Not sure if its possible anyways just wondering.

It's possible, but our cars don't really need a blow off valve.

Originally posted by onefastjackass

The problem is that these cars is that you have to rev the heck out of them and then drop the clutch due to yhe fact that they make very little power and will bogg at any clutch drop of less then about 4000 rpm's.I can see very many broken parts in there futures.Also just add a couple of friends and you might as well hang it up.It will definitly bogg and break parts.
I don't think you're supose to drop the clutch. You slip the hell out of the clutch if you want a good launch out of a manual tranny 4banger turbo. not as much shock to the drive train, you can hold higher rpm's and build boost faster esp. for AWD.

Originally posted by mister2
I don't think you're supose to drop the clutch. You slip the hell out of the clutch if you want a good launch out of a manual tranny 4banger turbo. not as much shock to the drive train, you can hold higher rpm's and build boost faster esp. for AWD.
Yea and then you smell smoking clutch and then you have a slipping clutch.Guess what happens then you have the fun of having to deal with replacing a clutch on car that has all wheel drive.What fun!!Most of the people I know that run these type of cars would rather rev it harder then drop the clutch and take there chances.
But really the point that I was trying to make is that any turbo 4 stick shift car that makes that kinda power and you have to rev the hell out of to get it in it's power band Is not going to live long without major parts changes. It could be a smoked clutch or broken half shafts.The point is the same!

Originally posted by onefastjackass
It could be a smoked clutch or broken half shafts.The point is the same!
yeah i hear you, i don't think the clutch job on these cars is that easy either. I heard it was a transverse mounted engine (like a fwd with a transfercase for the rear) so changing the clutch involves pulling the front transaxle. either way a pita job.

Young lady I work with said her husband went to buy one of these things last week. Going to trade his 2002 Jetta..Called his wife and said, " Honey, it is only going to cost $626 per month"

Needless to say, he still has the VW:D