Friend killed himself..maybe this will save one of your friends life

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
It's been almost a week since my best friend for the last 19 years comitted suicide. I've been very upset and its difficult to write this, but thought I'd share with my TB buds in hopes that it might help someone spot the signs and intervene if they ever notice this in any of their friends.
It was a combination of things, not being able to see his kids (x-wife kept coming up with accusations to prevent him from even having visitation rights for the last 2 years), he owned his own business and did not keep up with the paper work and the tax man was freezing his accounts and he began stressing over that and began drinking more and more.
He continued to make comittments to his customers that he could not deliver to and in so doing that, could never face them again even if someone had helped him out of the situation he was in.
Appearently this started building over a year ago.
I noticed he was drinking more and more hard liquor, used to be we just went out and had a few beers. But for the last few months he could put away a bottle of Yeager in a night.
I also noticed he was saying he had to work all of the time and he couldn't go out much..he was a photographer so he had weddings all of the time.
Yet, on days he had told me he had a wedding, he would call to see what was going on and I never said anything or asked what was wrong with the wedding he said he had to shoot a few days earlier.
He seemed more distant the last few months as well.
Was very image conscious.
Appearently was claiming to be very busy to hide the fact he was drinking so much.
His x-girlfriend said he would take trips out of town by himself alot to "get away", something I did not know.
He had a past history with this as his Mom did the same thing when he was only 6..I did not know this either.
2 weeks before, he stopped returning my calls, even on his birthday when we usually would meet for a drink or something to celebrate his birthday.
His other best friend had called everyday for the last 3 weeks with no return call.
His business line was disconnected as well a week or 2 prior, this should have told me there was a serious problem.
All in all, the bottle killed him

If one of your friend's doesn't return several of your calls and that is not characteristic of them and you feel something has not been right with them, immediately go to them in person and/or contact some of their other friends to see if they are having the same problem.

He left behind a 10 year old son and 6 year old twin sons.
There's so many other details I can't think of at the moment..
Hopefully this will insight someone if they ever run into this situation.

If you are near his kids, make sure you let them know about their dad. I couldn't imagine not being able to see my kids. If I wasn't around I would hope that my friends would take them under their wing.

Rob,once again I am sorry for this loss.Nothing could ever replace a great friend.

I have been wanting to call you and see how you have been,but felt you might need some space and some time to clear your thoughts.Not to mention the awkwardness of the moment when you found out.I just didn't know what to say man,I am sorry.

Know without a doubt that he knew you would have helped him in any way you could.Maybe he just felt it was too much to ever get past.

I had a friend do the same a long time ago,and I really felt angry and let down that he didn't come to me or someone else and let us help.

Something like this puts you in a place where you just don't know how to feel because you feel everything all at once.At least it was that way for me.

I could never guess how you feel right now,we all handle things like this differently.

Feel free to give me a call sometime if you just want to get things off your chest,or if you want to just go out and hang out to try and relax.

Don't be afraid to talk to your friend and tell him the things you are thinking,he might not be here anymore in body,but he is listening.

Take care Rob.

Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately his kids have been shut out of his life for some time. I did see his x-wife about 2 years ago, but thats the only time I have spoken to her since they split up 6 years ago. He had three very close friends and its brought his own friends a little closer. We hosted a rememberance of him Tue night, he specifically left instruction to not have a funeral or service, only a gathering of his friends to remembe him and the good times and have a toast to him so that's what we did, he just didn't know how many friends he had that showed up.
Patrick, thanks for your thoughts, sorry about putting you in that situation, I know I would not know how to react either if a freind received that news, I was in complete shock walking around the autorama after receiving that call..hoping that it was some sick joke his girlfriend was playing but realizing the changes I had observed over the last few months I pretty much knew it was for real. After about 10 minutes of pacing around I called her back and we went to meet her and his other best friend. We all look back and there was so much we could have done to pick him up and start again. Reading someones death note is the worst thing I've ever had to deal with trying to understand what was going thru his mind while he wrote 3 type written pages. I'll carry those thoughts forever. I needto put up something on my website in his rememberance to honor him forever on my party page as he was always the life of many parties we hosted.

Damn Rob,3 type written pages?!!

That is terrible,I think he had his mind set and he didn't look back.

Do not apologize,you did not put me in that spot,just a matter of bad timing.

The only reason I left was because I figured you and Tammy needed to talk and figure out what it was you were going to do.You had things to handle at that point and you needed no distractions.

I want you to know that it crushed me to see you doing your best to hold those tears back when you told me what the call was about.I hate to see a good friend in distress.

I also know your friend was a good person,though I did not know him.I know you would only let the best of people in your life,you are that type of guy.I think it says alot about him just in how much you cared for him.The one time I met him he was really nice to us.

OMG I am so sorry to hear about this.
May God bless his kids, and I hope he grants him the peace now
that he did not have in life.

Rob, when you told me the news originally, I simply could not believe it. What we need to realize is, no matter how well we think we may know someone, people are capable of anything. It's our abilty to recognize a problem and having the backbone to do something about it. Being a Marine has taught me how to recognize those patterns. We deal with it constantly. No one is to blame but him. It wrenches our gut thinking that "maybe" there was something we could have done to prevent it. Those close to him perceived him as the type of person incapable of such a thing. His smile lifted you, and his presance demanded attention. We loved to be with him because he made of feel really good. Like there was not a care in the world. So, when he started to show signs of having a problem, most turned a blind eye know that he would smile and shrug it off. The last thing he wanted to do, IMO, was to make anyone worry about him. It's easy to do through alcohol. Seeing the signs is harder. Wanted to see the signs is nearly impossible for some. Especially those close to him. Who could believe it? "Not him" they would think. "He loved life to much" they would say. I guess he felt that he had no other path to follow. And it's a shame. I know FOR A FACT that if he would have opened up to his friends, they would have pulled him through it. He had great friends who cared about him.
I guess I felt compelled, as you did, to comment on it. He will be missed. And hopefully someone reading this will save the life of a friend they think may be in trouble.

Sorry man. I've known several people that have taken their own lives. I never understood any of them.