friend buying a new car (is it worth it?)

tta1401

It's a 1990 Formula Firedbird. Interior is decent, clearcoat is fading a bit, 305 TBI motor, tires are good, runs good and it has around 140,xxx on her. What do you guys think it is worth? I think $1800 or a little more but I haven't seen it yet. Not going to say how much they are asking for it. Just want to see what you guys think. Just doing this for a friend.

TIA,:cool:

It's a TBI? should be a TPI. If it's a TBI, not much...maybe $1200.00 and that's pushing it...if it's TBI I think the engine has been messed with.

He told me it is a TBI motor. All stock. Some granny drove it. It even has a tow hitch! They are wanting $3400!! They will only go down to $3000. I am telling him not to get it. Oh well.

$2150

Hi,

go to www.kbb.com and find out. I got $2150 with the miles at 140000 in my zip code (11763)

Also with the car in "good" condition, even in xcellent it was only $2485

Options maxed out it was only $2800 ish.

Do it with what you know, print it and bring it with you.

Bill

I'm 99% sure that should be the tuned port injected engine.
Basically, A Formula Firebird was a Z28 without the g-effects and spoiler (kinda like a we4 to a GN).

That's WAY to much for that car. A similar car around here goes for $1500.00 With the TPI engine.
In the end, a car is only worth what a buyer wants to pay but DONOT buy a TBI engine if you want performance.

I already talked to him about the car. He wanted to go look at it and I told just to not buy the car. Just by him describing the car, I already knew that it wasn't worth what they want. He even showed me the Nada and KBB values and I still told him not to look at those to much to determine how much the car is worth Well at least on that car. He just needs to be patient and he will find a great deal. I've gotten GREAT deals on all my cars. Well that is if you go by Nada or KBB.;) About the TPI thing, I thought the same thing but I don't really know. I thought if it was a Formula car, it would of had the 305 TPI or 350 TPI. Oh well. He isn't buying it anyways.:D

Originally posted by tta1401
About the TPI thing, I thought the same thing but I don't really know. I thought if it was a Formula car, it would of had the 305 TPI or 350 TPI.
TBI (throttle-body injection) replaced the 4-bbl LG-4 305 around that time period and was the base motor in Formulas and T/A's.
The 305 TPI and 350 TPI were both options. HTH

So when he told me (my buddy) that it was a TBI, he was right? I guess I will jsut have to look at it.:D

One of the guys I used to work with had a 90 Formula with a TBI 305, came that way stock. I was surprised too!

Well, I got him to go look at a 94 Formula and he likes it and he is gonna get it. Road w/ him and it felt really strong. I think that LT1 is a little stronger than the TBI or TPI motors.;)