Friend about to buy a possible fake turbo buick... help....

My insurance on my Ttype is 50 bucks a month full coverage.
300 every 6 months.. How much cheaper can you get? If the guys driving record sucks then his rate will be high no matter what car he is driving.

Also, I'd bet 100 bucks that the car has 150k on it instead of 50k.

I have to chime in once again too, in leu of the "cheaper insurance" story. I about fell out of my chair when I read that line! Basically, the guy is claiming he had an immaculate, VALUABLE GN, but decided to spend time, money, and effort to destroy the value of the car, just to save anywhere from $10-$20 a month on insurance? Ahhhhhha, stop,,, the laughter is hurting my side!!! I suppose if the guy had a beautiful 3000 sq/ft brick home on an acre of land, he'd burn it and tear it down to replace it with a mobile home, in order to not have to pay those darn high home owner insurance fees...? Yeah,,, right! Do your friend a favor; smack him in the head, and when he regains consciousness, if he still wants to buy the car, have him committed! The only remote value appearant in this car, is the actual motor. Is it worth $2500, doubtful, based on all the other hooey that's been thrown around.
I sold my 87 T for $4250 to a friend, running low 12's in it's current trim. Your buddy can surely find a good, legitimate deal out there, with far less headaches and uncertainties!!! However, I'll give credit to whomever came up with the insurance excuse,,,,,, he should go into a comedic profession!

Gotta love the 6 digit odometer! Before I bought my Regal, I was looking at a Monte SS that the owner claimed had 60k...needless to say...BS!!! The brake pedal was worn totally to the metal, and the rubber on the gas was marginal at best. Good thing I looked it over well. Besides, I would be disappointed owning a Monte when Regals are so much better!

The easiest VIN to find is on the tranny. It appears on a boss just above the pan/gasket seam on the drivers side in the back of the tranny. Pretty much the full VIN # is there.

Real hard to find the engine one as it is stamped with the next size down in text than you are reading right now. :eek: Vertically stamped too. A mirror and big flashlight helps.

BRF tranny code tag should be on the passengers side rear of the tranny.

Check those out first.

Don't buy it!! Something stinks about the whole deal.....!

Check to see where the fuel filter is located. If it's in the stock location for the '86-'87 GN, and looks to be original. then there may be a problem (stolen car, or a car with changed tags- ILLEGAL! ). Either that or they kept the frame from the '87 and did a body and frame swap. OR... They actually ran new replacement '87 fuel lines on the 81 Frame. Although I doubt that happened...

I wont even bother to ask about how they connected the ECM harness and the body harness that attaches to the fuel pump. :rolleyes:

Don't buy it!

Appreciation.....

I appreciate all the input you guys have given my friend. I have passed all of it along to him. I hope he doesn't buy it. I would much rather see him get a legit TR.

Thanks everyone.

It could be a real 86 or 87 Turbo car with a vin tag and title from an 81.

Happens all the time here in the Chicago area

Check with the national insurance Crime Bureau.

Joe

Re: UPDATE!

Originally posted by Blazer406
He said the guy couldn't afford the insurance, so he bought a 81 regal and swapped the deck lid, and basically the front cap and titled it as a 81 so the insurance would be real cheap.
What a dolt! Surely he could have dropped everything except liability and made it affordable. Either that, or sell the GN as it was (suposedly) and drive the stock '81. :rolleyes:

GOTTA BE KIDDING

First of all an 81 regal looks a world different than an 82-87.

Second, I think that clone cars suck! (not trying to step on any toes, just my opinion)

Third, something on that car has to be STOLEN

Fourth, call the police

Fifth, an immaculate 81' is worth $1,200, and we are talking about a really low mileage, all original car, that some little old lady only used to drive back and forth from church, and sat in a garage the rest of the time. Not some chop shop hack job with a stolen engine.

Sixth, clone cars suck

And finally, if your friend is looking to overpay for a regal, I have a rusted out, zero optioned, slow, exhaust dragging regal rotting in the driveway. If it would make your friend happy I would be willing to put my old T-Type badges on it. He can come and drag it away for $4,500. At least this one has a good title and actually will show up on a carfax.

Let me know if he is interested

CLINTON POLICE DEPARTMENT
Chief Don Byington
Clinton Police Department
Post Office Box 156
Clinton, MS 39060
924-5252 Office
924-7867 Fax

If I had found an email link, this thread would have already been forwarded. The police need contacted.

It cost more to put all that on a GN than any insurance. BS story! You should know that if he buys the car and it gets yanked from him since its probably stolen - he will lose the car.

S

I talked to him tonight. He said the guy turned his $2500 offer down b/c his wife said he just couldn't do that. I think WE have convinced my friend to stay away from this car. I appreciate everyones input and carefull thought............. All this TR talk has me wanting to trade my low13 sec loaded s-10 Blazer with my 350/700R4 combo on one :-D ......... I am gonna start looking.....