fricken atr gate, please help.

bird

ive got the 10# spring in a brand new atr gate. gate is mounted on the header & feeds the exhaust back into down pipe. headers, down pipe & exhaust everthing is atr. WHY is the boost going up to 21-22#. boost spools up slow starts off at about 15-16# then hits 21-22# at the top of 3rd gear. im using a bleeder valve mounted in the ashtray for boost control the valve is completely closed. with just the vacum going from the turbo compressor to the side port of the gate i still get 21-22#. if i try increasing the boost just to see if ive got some adjustment it makes no difference boost still at 21-22#. bleeder valve works perfect(bench tested it). ive got no vacum leaks, nothing is sticking or binding in the gate (i bench tested it), ive got the adjustment screw on the front of the gate backed right off. ITS FRICKEN BRAND NEW. are these gates really as **** as everyone sais or am i making over the 900 h.p. rating? NOT! any one run into this. i want to be able to bring the boost down to at least 12-14#.

please somebody help b4 i beat the atr people over the head with this gate.

It could be the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing is not big enough to control the boost. Did you enlarge the wastegate hole when you installed the DP?

Originally posted by Sweet6
It could be the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing is not big enough to control the boost. Did you enlarge the wastegate hole when you installed the DP?

If you read the entire post he isn't using the wastegate hole, he has an external gate mounted in the header...Therefore the hole would not effect anything.

bird, just for more info have you tried it with the bleeder completely unhooked...maybe you have a cracked vac hose, or maybe you need to zip tie all of your lines...I had a weird boost problem and zip tieing all of the boost control lines fixed it, I guess I had a tiny leak at one of the fittings.

thanks for the replies guys, ive got all vacum lines zip tied and i know there aint no leaks. all the test runs i did was with the bleeder completley unhooked. i did dissasemble the gate and the diaphram looks like it was pinched between the housing. i unpiched it, tried again and still too much boost. the diaphram doesnt look torn, i called atr and they of course are blaming the diaphram. i tried using a freinds atr gate it works well in his car , but hes got a much milder set up (stock engine with a te44). its an older model, boost still creeps. man im gonna give up.

Try switching the lines on the controller. I had that same problem with my external delta gate. There's an arrow on my controller, witch should point to the line on the wategate. I just got an atr external wastegate, but its on the DP. Let me know if that helps. I hope I dont have the same problem.

i checked the diaphram again and turns out its torn(hard to see the tear, had to add some presure with some soapy water). the loaner gate from a freind turned out to have a torn diapgram as well. these gates like to eat diaphrams! im going to try another freinds gate tonight, this one works perfectly in his car with a simular combo as mine. ill let you guys know how this works out.

Although this may not offer you any help or relief, i have never been able to make one of them POS work worth a damn. New or used, they have never worked right. I know some do run them with acceptable results,but the ratio of not working right to good ones is rather high.The gate is not designed well hence the problem with the diaphams,and sealing surfaces.

Good Luck

thanks for the advice louie, the 3rd atr gate i tried from a different buddy turned out to have a ruptured diaphram as well. i ordered some new ones from atr. ill give the gate one more chance with the new diaphram. if i still have problems out the door it goes. ill have to re-install my richard le gate on the crossover pipe & live with the noise or modify it to fit on the header where the atr gate is currently mounted the quiet way. thanks for the help guys.

"IF" I'm understanding your question correctly, you are complaining of overboost. The ATR downpipe does use the stock location turbine housing wastegate hole (where the puck would be) it's just now over to the side with an external WG attached to it.

The stock ~.75" hole is insificient.......it must be HOGGED and the downpipe portion also to ~1.5". Then you need to remove material inside of the turbine housing (blending) to make the exhaust gasses want to exit this hole.

If the housing has been hogged already, then the new diaphram should resolve the problem. If not, then sweet6 was correct.

I had to do this on my Syclone for the ATR system to control boost. HTH,

Originally posted by bird
thanks for the advice louie, the 3rd atr gate i tried from a different buddy turned out to have a ruptured diaphram as well. i ordered some new ones from atr. ill give the gate one more chance with the new diaphram. if i still have problems out the door it goes. ill have to re-install my richard le gate on the crossover pipe & live with the noise or modify it to fit on the header where the atr gate is currently mounted the quiet way. thanks for the help guys.

If you're using the stock Y, make sure the orifice is on the right leg. If the orifice is in the signal line, boost will rise too slow and could cause creep. The slow spool doesnt really support that theory tho, sounds like a stuck guide. Might send it to John Craig for a stainless guide. Seems the bronze ones ATR uses expand at a weird rate and wind up squeezing the valve stem holding it tight.

Jim