Freshening up my 87 National

LI6pack

Hey everyone, its been a while since i played with my GN, mostly washing, cruising. Very slow cruising at that too. anyway, i'm looking to freshen her up a little. i have an old applied technologies chip, over 10 years old since i upgraded. couple of questions if i may.

My GN an 1987, original owner has only 26k, and the best time i ever ran, holy, 20 years ago, was 12.98 @ 101mph. basically stock. fuel press regulator, plenum spacer, chip, no CAT exhaust is really all i ever did besides running CAM2 at the track. I have some other cosmetic and suspension mods but all bolt ons.

whats the latest :

* Chip
* Spark plugs and wires
* any other must have tune up stuff.
* motor oil? I've been running Castro 20/50

I guess the first question is, what are your goals for your car? Do you just want a cruiser, street/strip....how fast do ya wanna go and also, how much money do you want to spend?

Chip: TurboTweak is what I prefer.

Plugs: AD/Delco R43TS I gap mine around.030

Wires: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/342208-its-just-plug-wires.html
1987 - GRAND NATIONAL - REGAL - V6 - BUICK - Spark Plug Wire Sets - SummitRacing.com

Spring Cleaning: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Oil: Depending on where you live, 10w-30, 10w-40 is all you should need, unless you live in a VERY warm climate.

Also, check out this website. It will answer most of your questions, and stimulate your mind to ask many more !!!! Vortex Buicks

I use it when its nice out, winter has been rough though here in NY so she sat 2 months but i sart her regularly.

hey sorry just read the entire note back. Pretty much want to keep her street with a possibility of heading to the track with my boys to show them how its done, that is if i can remember. Money is not a real object here since I'm not that interested in 10 sec anymore. Maybe 11's though,haha. Over the last year if i punch her, i get like a backfire under the hood. sounds terrible. So i figured i need a top own tune. thoughts?

I've got an '87 GN, 42# injectors, 62mm turbo, Cotton's front mount cooler and I am hoping to run some 11.50's on 23-24# of boost once I install my injectors and alky kit.

Since your car is mostly stock I wouldn't try as much boost....15-17# of boost, depending on octane. If you don't already have a scan tool, BUY ONE !!! Scanmaster, PowerLogger or DirectScan should be high on your list so you can see what is going on with your engine.

Thanks, the boost, believe it or not is still set stock as far as i know. I have installed a GNX type ask board that Kirban was offering so i do see the boost gauge. I used to beable to punch it an not worry, thats my goal now

Nah, I bought the car a few years with 180k miles, but the engine and trans. had been rebuilt.

It may be a good idea to find someone close to you that has a scan tool that can help you find the problem. The backfire is an indication of a lean condition and lean conditions blow up these motors !!!