Freon Type

Jack Russo

This might be a moronic question, but i've been searching our forums and haven't seen an answer.
87 stock GN, I've had her about 5 years. AC blows hot, compressor isn't turning on. It used to work, so it's probably low on Freon causing compressor to turn off.
Well it's hot and my wife wont ride in the car without the AC. lol. I think taking the t-tops is cool enough, but no dice with her.
I want to refill it myself. How can i tell if it still takes the R12? I never changed it over to R134, but not sure if original owner did.
I saw Enviro-Safe and RED TEK online and they both seem to be compatible with either system.
But still would want to know what I'm dealing with.
If I do it myself, should i get a gauge, or just fill it till its cold.
thanks everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying our rides in this nice weather (unless you're in Iceland).

R134 systems have quick couplers ( snap on)

R 12 use a screw/thread on coupler to add or remove freon.

Low pressure coupler/nipple is on the line that runs to the dryer near passenger fender well & blower motor.

I used Johnsons Freeze 12 to recharge my GN that was still set up for R12. That was back in '09 & all is still good & cold.

Low pressure switch needs to be jumped while filling too. Blower motor on high, & 30-35 psi on the low side.

Hope this helps.

Look on craigslist, usually find good deals on genuine R12 cans locally.

Thanks guys. I have the thread on the coupler so I am still on theR12. I noticed 2 couplers though. One by the radiator rail and one on the passenger side near the glove box. I'm assuming to use the one by the passenger side Firewall.
Actually while checking now. I noticed that the compressor is turning on. And there is some freon in the system. I stuck my finger nail in the coupler and some shot out. Perhaps it's just low. I'm going to look into both options to our buy the R 12. Thanks !
Jack

Jump the low pressure switch on the drier, start the engine & hook up some gauges. If it's in the 30-35 range, & compressor short cycles without the jumper wire (switch hooked up) then the low pressure switch is bad. I had this happen. This is how I know.

Otherwise if below 30 psi, add freon to a max of 35 psi

be aware that some people swap over to 134 and take the fittings off the lines to keep the original look..