FPR/FI questions

zeus87gn

Automotive Neurosurgeon
I have a potential problem with the FI system on this car. No, it is not a buick (flame suit on), but it is fuel injected and has a dual diaphram FPR (or at least 2 vaccum ports). I believe it is an OBDI system as it has no crank sensor that I can find and I believe the cam sensor to be built into the dist. The dist has 2 individual pickups and 2 plugs with probably about 100 wires each.

We have just finished a complete valve job/top end rework and it is running rich. VERY RICH. It appears that the (4) injectors are dumping so much fuel that the oil now smells like gas and it will hardly run. The new plugs come out wet with gas and barely any combustion residue. If it does run it doesn't run well.

The FPR will not hold a vaccum on either port. When I gauge tested it, the upper port would loose vaccum slowly and the lower port would loose vaccum quickly. I tested it with no lines connected to it (other port open). I would not think it would loose vaccum on either port but maybe it has a balancing valve?? I'm lost here. I did reverse the vaccum lines while the engine was running and it made no obvious difference to the operation.

The question: Can this FPR be causing the rich condition? I would hate to spend $200 on a new one and it not solve the problem.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick