FPR bad? or is my return fuel line to small?

volvoman

The Green BEAST
Ever since I fixed my vac leaks I have had over rich code and my oil has small amount of fuel smell to it. I pulled the vac line off the fpr and no gas. coming out. I have 3/8 line going almost all the way back to the tank. except for the 90 deg bend that goes into the tank, real pain to upgrade to 3/8. I think the size is 5/16 or so. Also one other point. I am using a 87 GMC Jimmy TBI intank fuel pump and Its puts out 60psi steady. Is it also posiblle that its overiding the fpr? I have a billit top that I rebuilt the bottom end on. If you have any Idea That would be great. I am about to put on Razors kit and I need to get this nailed down in two weeks .

Thanks for any info or help.. :biggrin:

Chris

What kind of pressure are you reading from FPR at idle,vac line off?Most FPRs can be disassembled to check condition of rubber diaphram.Idle FPR readings should be in the 38 to 43lb range at idle.At WOT the FPR reading should read your base reading(38 to 43)plus boost PSI.Some sort of scan tool should be used to monitor at least O2 readings.I would say the return line is ok,Pump may not be enough depending on your setup.Change fuel filter to take it out of picture.If your smelling fuel in oil,your too rich.Change oil now!Get a gauge and set the FPR.

suicide six said:
What kind of pressure are you reading from FPR at idle,vac line off?Most FPRs can be disassembled to check condition of rubber diaphram.Idle FPR readings should be in the 38 to 43lb range at idle.At WOT the FPR reading should read your base reading(38 to 43)plus boost PSI.Some sort of scan tool should be used to monitor at least O2 readings.I would say the return line is ok,Pump may not be enough depending on your setup.Change fuel filter to take it out of picture.If your smelling fuel in oil,your too rich.Change oil now!Get a gauge and set the FPR.

I have an 0tc 4k scan tool right now idle is set at 22# with vac off. Fuel filter was changed bit back so that is out of the picture. I am changing the oil Sat. Working tow jobs so its bit hard to change oil in the week. :( Nothing I can do about that. Part of the reason my fp is set at 22# is that was the only way I could get the blms up to 128. Before I was running in the 90s to 119s. This is just so odball. The only other thing I could think it would be is the fuel comming out of the oil in the vac line from the intake. It did not smell that bad though. I am sure its giving my piston walls a good cleaning though. :(

Chris

Im confused about the OTC reading of 22lbs at idle.Does this scanner read actual of half of true fuel pressure? If its actual,22 is wy too low.

First Id change the plugs,I know this seems weird but have seen this cure problem,may be more than one ify plug.Your MAF maybe causing this,try a known good one if possible.Your running a trans plus I see,does adjusting base number do you any good.How old are injectors,thats a possibility.Id start with the easiest things first.Try running "search: on low blms,it might lead you to fix faster.

Whos chip you using?Is it for 009s?Its gotta be either Bad MAF,bad injector,Bad O2 sensor,leaking FPR,mismatched chip,or several crappy plugs.

Plugs..

suicide six said:
Whos chip you using?Is it for 009s?Its gotta be either Bad MAF,bad injector,Bad O2 sensor,leaking FPR,mismatched chip,or several crappy plugs.

Yes I am going to change them out also they are cheap. I have an extender chip and I have a casper fuel guage for the readings. Thanks for the tips I will do them in the when I change the oil on sat.

HTML:
Ever since I fixed my vac leaks I have had over rich code and my oil has small amount of fuel smell to it. I pulled the vac line off the fpr and no gas. coming out.
I dont understand what you mean by no gas coming out. that is a vac line its not supposed to have gas come out. maybe a typo please explain.
thanks Doug

I'd say by the simple fact that you can reduce the fuel pressure to 22# means your return line is A-OK (therwise you'd never be able to lower it at all). You really need a gauge on the fuel rail to diagnose this...

Forget the BLM at idle.

Mine is also around 90 I'm not worried.

009s, Quad air chips

At part throttle thru WOT, my BLMs are normal.

gauge..

S10xGN said:
I'd say by the simple fact that you can reduce the fuel pressure to 22# means your return line is A-OK (therwise you'd never be able to lower it at all). You really need a gauge on the fuel rail to diagnose this...

I have a caspers gauge so this week I am going to check a few other things when I have time. At least the oil is changed. Going to replace the pcv vale and mabe new o2 the cheap fixes first.

are you sure your scan tool is reading actual perameters of 22lbs? Im not familiar with that unit but remember reading about numbers being low.

What fuel pump are you using,I see this is a hybrid GN.You need a pump thats compatable for a turbo regal.Thats what the problem is if its something else.

fuel pump

suicide six said:
What fuel pump are you using,I see this is a hybrid GN.You need a pump thats compatable for a turbo regal.Thats what the problem is if its something else.

Its out of a 97 ford truck with a vortex motor. I thought it was a TBI pump. I gots plenty of fuel.
I did some testing this weekend and this is what I came up with
This is from the other board:

Ok , Not a TBI pump 97 ford truck with a vortex motor Pump.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the confusion

I changed the oil and spark plugs, got AC43ts. I was using NGK UR5s.

So heres how the test went.

I started the car set the fpr with vac off at 40# turned the car off and it dropped to 36# I waited and turned the key on again and hits 36#.

So I clamp the return line.

15min drops 2#
19min * 4#
30 min * 10#

So I clamp the preassure line

15min drops 4#
19min 6#
30min 9#

So I clamp both

15min 2#
23min 6#
30min 8#

Then I thought that I will see how long it takes with out the clamps..

15min drops 0#
19min 1/2 #
30min 2#

What is going on I am about to take it to one of the buick guys who has a shop. He is about 3hrs from here.

Also here is a picture of the spark plugs I pulled..

2 & 3 had a bit of gas on the threads but just look sootie

So I put the new plugs in start it up let it hit idle till 175-180 . I clear the ecm and started fresh when I did this. Sure enough starts off rich 02s are in the 90s blms 113 and after it hit closed loop dropped to 100blms..

What am I missing here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That pump may supply a max of 20lbs at idle.You need one that will do around 50lbs at least.These pumps can be purchased for 100 bucks.A PTI designed pump will not fall off like the one youre using.

suicide six said:
That pump may supply a max of 20lbs at idle.You need one that will do around 50lbs at least.These pumps can be purchased for 100 bucks.A PTI designed pump will not fall off like the one youre using.

The pump does not fall off. after I did all the testing this weekend I set it right back where its supose to be 45# with vac off. I picked up a new AC delco pcv valve. I am also going to get a new 3 wire O2. I was watching The O2 today and it taakes forever to get going. My x counts go from 6-13 25-32- 8- 11- kind of slugish I think. I might have smoked it with all that fuel. While I am at cruse on the freeway the o2s are in 600-750 450- 800 200-665. What I think I am going to do next is record a whole 30 sec or so and post the whole thing. I am also thinking about sending my injectors out to get cleaned, or just buy a new set for $130 more than the cost of the cleaning too. Its bound to be somthing. :rolleyes:

So Bad coil pack and 02 with a loose IAC

So it seems all of these contributed to the problem. I tested the coil pack with a caspers unit, those things are sweet. still needs bit more tune but alky is being ordered next week ;) as planed.. Thanks for all the imput.