Found the water leak

GN-231

I first noticed it when my windows were unusually foggy in the morning, then I found the wet passenger floormat.
After reading a bunch of posts, I decided to re-seal the heater core and replace it while I had things apart.
After the heater core replacement, I got out the hose again and sprayed down the car....still a leak.....
BTW...the leak was coming in my the passenger side kick panel...by the ECU.

It turned out that around the base of the A-pillar, kind of by the hood joint, I had some minor cracks. I didn't think much of them and thought, it could be the leak, but after sealing them up....all the leaks were fixed. I went ahead and seal the driver's side in this area also.

I used silicone around the heater core replacement, but for stopping leaks I used that rubber sealant that comes in an orange tube. That stuff is great because it is very runny and will actually seep down into the cracks.

Moral of the story....look around for various cracks before replacing your heater core.

Yes ttops are very prone to cracks at the a pillar and water settling there and rotting out glad you found it, you may want to look at the ecm connectors and make sure water did not collect there (look for greenish corrosion) if you do take electronic cleaner and a paper clip through each pin connection. If ya don't and caught it before the corrosion thats great, thats what i found on mine when i repaired it after i bought it.

....snip....
Moral of the story....look around for various cracks before replacing your heater core.

Also, a "sniff, sniff" will tell you if its coolant inside your car. I can smell coolant ten feet away :)

The best stuff for filling in leak cracks is "Permatex Black Rubber Sealant". It is very runny when it first comes out of the tube, but it immediately starts to thicken after applied. Definitely the best leak sealer.

Now that my leak is fixed, I will be putting in new carpet from Kirban, plus I think I will install some b-quiet sound deading mat on the floor pan also since it is very accessible. I was always kind of interested to see how much that lowers the noise levels in the car. When I removed the carpet out of the car after I found the leak, the noise level of the car was dramatically increased....so it will be interesting to see how much diff the sound mat makes.

Anyone know if that thin sheetmetal windsheild wiper rest needs to be sealed down to the front windsheild with some RTV or anything? Mine was not but I thought I saw somewhere where sometimes it is?

Shouldn't have to and if ya do it will be a PIA to remove probably destroy it, i would say if they do then they have bigger problems and that its a bandaid.