found cause of eng noise

RegalX2

Had a sharp knock develop for 20 sec or so then mysteriously stopped. Found one screw from Accufab throttle body actually broke off and nicely scarred up a GN1R head and CP piston. Not too happy about that! Part of the screw is still in the TB shaft, but the head and a bit of the threaded section parted company. Oh, and of course the turbine wheel got broken when the piece exited.
I bought this TB new, never touched the 2 screws, seems crazy to think when you buy a new part, you must remove and mag everything.
I suppose I have to look at this as an opportunity to try the new GT spec wheel as my PT76Q is being updated (repaired) by Limit Eng.

Jim Turner
2 WE4's
1 GTO

Oh, that bites. Funny how a nickel piece can cost thousands.:mad:

see i have always thought about those 2 little screws. they do get alot of vibration and use. if one of those let up it going threw the inlet of my turbo then the blades from the turbo are going into my motor and then there coming out of my motor. so in turn if one of those guys comes out im sure it would destroy my turbo heads and a few other things.

sorry to hear it..i know how it feels, lost a block due to a baseplate screw coming out in the 383 chevy in my dads truck. oh well, it was opportunity to build it with some better part the next go round. hope you dont break the bank fixing it.

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your problem. You're not the only person this has happened to. A couple of years ago the exact same scenario played out on a friends car. I have to believe it's a case of cheap hardware and the screws being overtorqued. Once they've been in service a while the screw fails and unfortunately you know the rest.

Neal

Definatly sucks, Back when I was in the Marines, I rebuilt HMMWV Engines. Another guy had to replace the injection pump while on the dyno, pulled the rails, pump, etc. Put it all back together, ran, busted a valve b/c of a fuel rail hold down bolt(little 7mm screw). Bad day for him needless to say.

Maybe call them and ask for some $$ help?? Seems they had a rash of that problem, not too long ago....

Oh my...I've had my Accufab for quite a few years and never had that happen. I'm almost afraid to take a look now.

Sorry about that.

Neil and Chuck,
Thats interesting news. I did call them a few days ago, I was told I must have overtorqued them and no they would not send me just 2 screws. They would however replace them at no charge if I sent them the TB or for $70.00 they would rebuild the unit
On a side note, the CP pistons I had made have been in service approx 4 years, street driven, never trailered, many passes at 25PSI, the skirts show almost 0 wear, like maybe only run for a few minutes, Unbelievable. Highly recomended

Jim Turner

The guys at Accufab are not the best when it comes to helping out the customer. :mad: I will avoid their products even if their competitors' product cost twice as much.

In my..

The guys at Accufab are not the best when it comes to helping out the customer. :mad: I will avoid their products even if their competitors' product cost twice as much.

experiences talking with the owner, [and mod motor racer], he could use some help with being "more user friendly"!! His customer relations dept could use an overhaul.:eek:

Caution ! !

A word to the wise, I tried to remove the remaining TB plate screw, guess what ? it broke right in two with just the slightest torque. Check or replace yours today !

Jim Turner
2 WE4's
1 GTO Judge

So...

A word to the wise, I tried to remove the remaining TB plate screw, guess what ? it broke right in two with just the slightest torque. Check or replace yours today !

Jim Turner
2 WE4's
1 GTO Judge

his BS reply that the cause was you overtorquing the screws, was actually referring to the wrong person. :rolleyes:
The past history of failures w/ his stuff was EXACTLY that...Screws were overtorqued, not left loose.

It's a shame.. he could build a nice product, and take care of his problems, but chooses to be an a$$hole, and promote negative reviews, such as this thread.
I had his TB on my Buick... FIRST thing I did was to remove the screws.. Had to drill 1 out, as it snapped off, just as yours did.:mad:

Oh man that's scary.... I'm going to check mine and put some real screws with red loc-tite in there.

Buy the A/F unit, and replace the screws with stainless, B4 U install it on the car. It's pretty obvious the mfgr doesn't follow up on problems that are well documented.
Alternative?? Have a stock T/B bored, and use it. For all but the big HP engines, the modded stocker will work fine..

I have a Kenne Bell 70mm TB & Plenum that I bought from KB several years ago. Works fine and it was a little less $'s than AccuFab. Don't know if they still produce it or not.
Conrad

So, what are the alternatives to AccuFab?
Conrad

Here's "my" alternative. ;) I just used stockers. (ALOT of work, but they open a BIG hole):p And, so far, the screws have stayed put.

Attachments

• Copy of sectioned buick head 8445 037.jpg
    Copy of sectioned buick head 8445 037.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 550
Wow! That looks nice. Two stock 58mm TB and two stock turbos. How does it run? How did you do the linkage for the TB's? You obviously have considerable fabrication skills.
Conrad