forward drum help needed

plcguru

Hi,
So, I'm finally getting this 2004r together. I'm working on the forward drum now.
I take out 1 wave, 3 steels, a backing plate and 4 frictions. I go to put new ones into my new billet forward drum and I don't see any waves in my overhaul kit... just 4 steels.

My original wave was flat, should it be? Can I use it in my new drum with 3 new steels or should I use 4 steels or what?

Below is a picture of my old wave and steel. Notice the wave is flat but should it be?

wave.jpg

waved steel

The waved steel acts as a cushion. When you go from neutral to any gear, without the waved steel you will get a firm --hard engagement. Some leave them out because they like the FEEL--I personally do not. Performance wise--once they apply --it doesn't matter. Hopefully some others will give their opinion.

What type of forward drum apply piston do you have?? If it is Aluminum You MUST USE the wave plate. IF it is steel, you can opt for the flat for a firmer N-D engagement. I would use the wave and focus on making sure the clutch/steel clearance is correct.

It's a steel piston. Sounds like I should use a wave.
What's the recommended clearance I should shoot for?