Forged Rotating Assembly

Westriver87

I have a extra motor in the shop, so I'm getting ready to build a shortblock. Been reading up on the stroke vs. bore argument. It seems that there isn't much gained by going with a stroker build. However, since I'm buying a forged rotating assembly, It would only cost a few hundred bucks more in machining costs. So why not. Im going with webers crank. What about rods and pistons? Stock rods would probably work, but by the time they are reconditioned, might as well of bought forged. So whats the consensus on rods and pistons? Thanks for the help

I have a extra motor in the shop, so I'm getting ready to build a shortblock. Been reading up on the stroke vs. bore argument. It seems that there isn't much gained by going with a stroker build. However, since I'm buying a forged rotating assembly, It would only cost a few hundred bucks more in machining costs. So why not. Im going with webers crank. What about rods and pistons? Stock rods would probably work, but by the time they are reconditioned, might as well of bought forged. So whats the consensus on rods and pistons? Thanks for the help
Iron rods will not live as long as forged. Iron is strong in compression but not so in tension and shear. The Buick Power Source Manual and Jim Ruggles would buy in to 400 hp in certain performance applications.Then the hp high end would go up every 5 to 10 years.Now I've seen 600 hp on limited use for 2 dot stock rods.By the time you check for bend and twist,check for elongation on the big end and remachine and bush the piston pin end for a full floater you have probably spent a lot of what you could have into a good forged rod like a Molnar.The performance endurance limit (the relationship between number of load cycles vs load magnitude) is much greater with a forged rod than a reconditioned casting.

We have had many threads on "do a stroker or not?" Some say there isn't much to be gained. I have never seen anyone say "there is nothing to be gained" Your going to gain with a stroker. Some may be able to use a combo to really see some extra power. Some may only see some better down low torque. I say go stroker if your going to buy a full forged rotating assembly. Why not??

I agree. I remember reading about diamonds having crown problems. This was a year or so ago. Any scat, k1, eagle, etc. quality rod will work. Really just looking for piston opinions. I've seen where nick micale normally uses cp and several other builders are running je's. Most vendors sell the diamonds.