Ford Turbo 2.3 Questions

Justin Terry

I know this is a Buick site but I just thought maybe someone from here would know something about it. My friend just got a 94 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter 4 cylinder. And he really hates it he didnt want it but his paremts bought it so he has to keep it. And we figured since he has to keep it then why not turbo it since there were already turbo 2.3's. We know that you have to use an 87-88 turbo coupe as a doner. I just wanted to know if anybody new of any good websites or had any good information. We wanna use a stock GN turbo and intercooler. thanks

Your friend is quite lucky to have his parents buy him the truck.

Doing a cnversion like that would cost more than it is worth. It would probably be much easier and economical to do a 302 conversion it. JMHO. :)

Originally posted by Justin Terry
He knows its not gonna be real fast. thanks

Then why bother?

Have your friend use the truck & save $$ for a GN someday.
There will always be GN's for sale.

I think a 300hp(2.3) turbo ranger would be fun:D . Try turboford.org , that should get you started. Ross L

Justin, if you do decide to go ahead with the buildup, I have a few 2.3 Turbo Ford parts laying around. Turbo coupe intakes, some other odds and ends. I built a SVO Mustang a few years back. It was fun, the roller cam I ran loved to pull up top. Lata Scott

I would try it. The 2.3 turbo motors have a stronger bottom end than the 5.0 except for the rods. Once you replace those you have a nearly bullet proof bottom end, at least to the 450-500hp range. Dollar for dollar they're supposed to give the same or better performance than the V8.

I HAVE A 85 SVO THAT IS BEING RESTORED (BLEW MY TURBO IN COLLEGE). THE TURBO COUPE/SVO/XR4TI ENGINE IN A RANGER WOULD BE KILLER! JOE MORGAN PUT A TURBO COUPE MOTOR IN A 88 RANGER WITH A 50 SHOT OF NOS AND A AUTOMATIC, HE RAN 12.90'S IN THE 1/4. I HAVE SEEN SCOTT PORTER'S SVO... IT WAS A KILLER CAR:cool: . I THINK HE SOLD THE CAR. I HAVE A RANGER ROLLER CAM IN MY SVO HEAD WITH BIGGER VALVES. A 50 SHOT OF NOS. I AM SLOWLY PUTTING "HELL RAISER" BACK TOGETHER.:D

REED FROM TURBO SPECIALTIES HAS A GN TURBO SET UP FOR SVO/TC/XR4TI, WWW.TURBOREPAIR.COM, AND CHECK OUT THE WWW.SVOCA.COM. THEIR ARE SOME SVO'S WITH GN INTERCOOLERS. HOPE THIS HELPS:D

The 2.3 rods are actually used in "budget" 302 stroker kits. They are plenty strong. Really no weak points that I know of. Well, the iron head is prone to crack and needs lots of work to flow well. See the latest "muscle mustang mag:eek: , Project "shiny advenger" made over 400 hp to the wheels w/ a *junkyard* bottom end. :) Ross L

we knowa guy that has a 88 turbo coupe that he took the 2.3 out and put a 302 in and he will basically give us the motor for next to nothing. It is a complete motor and he said that while it was in the car it ran great didnt smoke or use oil. The thing is do yall think that i can just take the Ex. mainifold and the turbo off and it would bolt up i will also put bigger injectors and a better fuel pump and all that. but dont want to put to much $ in to it ya know@ like 12-14 psi do yall think the factory pistons and rods would hold up. We are gonna get the head worked a little to flow better. Just any insight/advice would be great.
Thanks for your time.

I did the swap about 2 years ago into my 86. I would recomend swapping the entire motor because of the pistons and compression ratio, although some people have bolted the turbo on to the ranger motor you will have to run low boost. The hardest part of the swap was the wiring, you must use the turbo computer! I used the factory ranger harness and moved wires and swapped pins in the computer harness to match the coupes. This might be more complicated with the newer truck but it has been done. Just get some good diagrams for each vehicle. If thats to hard you could "maybe" get a custom chip or editor to bring the ranger computer inline.

The GN turbo would need a different exhaust housing, 3 bolt vs 4 bolt flange. an earlier svo T3 is a good upgrade to the stock IHI. faster cars use t4t3 hybrids (close to a gn) but many guys keep the stock .42 t3 turbine versus a gn .63 for spool up. Im sure you know the intercooler would need custom plumbing.

There also was some issues with the oil pan cause mine was a 4x4
Turboford.org was a great resource.