Ford Techs - Step in - F150 Question

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Well, I read a few posts on the F150 board, but thought I'd post here on the “smarter board”. :tongue:
How would you put an electric fan on a Lightning that has a mechanical fan, AND have it activate with the engine cold and AC turned on?

I think you would have to tap into the wire that engages the AC clutch and attach a relay that turns on the fans when the AC is on.

I think you would have to tap into the wire that engages the AC clutch and attach a relay that turns on the fans when the AC is on.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. . . . . . That and a temp sending unit.

get an aftermarket wiring kit with a relay- the hayden kit i used in my regal had an extra leand off the relay that was to go to the AC compressor switch to turn the fan on when the AC comes on and came with wiring diagrams.

You could also simply run a switch into the cabin and turn it on manually each time you run the engine. Of course, don't skimp on this either... use a relay. :D That's likely the easiest overall approach, as long as you never forget to turn it on. :)

I did this with a '87 Cutlass I had that I put a SBC in. I got rid of all the computer stuff and put Jeg's pn 555-10560 fan control on it. Ran a wire from the a/c clutch relay like was mentioned above and added it to the relay. That way if the temp got to 185 it would come on or if the clutch was engaged.

get an aftermarket wiring kit with a relay- the hayden kit i used in my regal had an extra leand off the relay that was to go to the AC compressor switch to turn the fan on when the AC comes on and came with wiring diagrams.
You know, I had one of those on the GN ........ It had the adjustable temp swith, but that failed after a few months, and than the realy failed, than it got wet and shorted out . . . :mad: ..... ended up buiding my own unit :cool:.
I have a few good quality waterproof relays laying around to play with.

Have you been to the Lightning forum? There are some turbo Buick owners there too.
Yea, it was a joke. My buddy has a lighting and an 87 and I think I need to build 2 kits and install one on his 2000 Lightning, and my F150. :cool:

You could also simply run a switch into the cabin and turn it on manually each time you run the engine. Of course, don't skimp on this either... use a relay. :D That's likely the easiest overall approach, as long as you never forget to turn it on. :)
With my failing memory, I am not sure if this a good option for me. I will forget and be sorry I did not wire it to automatically come on. Thanks though, GREAT idea! :cool:

I did this with a '87 Cutlass I had that I put a SBC in. I got rid of all the computer stuff and put Jeg's pn 555-10560 fan control on it. Ran a wire from the a/c clutch relay like was mentioned above and added it to the relay. That way if the temp got to 185 it would come on or if the clutch was engaged.
Thanks Kevin! :) You guys are the greatest!