ford announces 06 shelby cobra mustang

Originally posted by gnturboray
What a rip!!!! What happenend to the 500hp numbers that were originally projected! :confused:

If you read the details, the engine going into the new Cobra is basically the same 5.4 as the Ford GT MINUS the dry sump oiling and pullied different. 500 horse is a pulley swap away. If Ford does this the same was as the 03-04 Cobras with the killer electronics and the over kill fuel system (double fuel pumps) you will see some ridiculously fast Mustangs that are basically stock.

not impressed

Thought I would chime in on my opinion. Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger? Thats only fifty more than a regular old 05 GTO. I liked the new Mustang when they came out but the problem is there is way too many 6 cylinder cars runnin around. Ford is tryin to please everybody like gm tried to do with v6's in camaros and firebirds of the past. If its got the mustang name on it, then it should run like a mustang. Anybody know how much the blind Ford faithful are going to pay for that car? I think I would be better off buyin a new GTO and puttin the turbo setup on for a few more thousand. remember thats my opinion and you know what they say about opinions..... there like as*holes everybody has one.

Re: not impressed

Originally posted by Brer Rabbit
Thought I would chime in on my opinion. Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger? Thats only fifty more than a regular old 05 GTO. I liked the new Mustang when they came out but the problem is there is way too many 6 cylinder cars runnin around. Ford is tryin to please everybody like gm tried to do with v6's in camaros and firebirds of the past. If its got the mustang name on it, then it should run like a mustang. Anybody know how much the blind Ford faithful are going to pay for that car? I think I would be better off buyin a new GTO and puttin the turbo setup on for a few more thousand. remember thats my opinion and you know what they say about opinions..... there like as*holes everybody has one.

Ford has always sold more 6 cly mustangs than GT v-8's.. It's been like that since 1964. That is exactly the reason they are able to make high performance models: They make a large volume of cars,the bread and butter models pay for the exotic models...
The GTO has great performance,but alas,it is wraped in a non-descript body,and that's the problem. it's just not sexy..

Thought I would chime in on my opinion. Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger? Thats only fifty more than a regular old 05 GTO. I liked the new Mustang when they came out but the problem is there is way too many 6 cylinder cars runnin around.

Yes, but the Mustang is a good looking car and the GTO looks like everything else out on the road.

Lutz needs to pull his head out of his butz and offer a new Camero that is well engineered, of pony car size, and with retro styling. Make them with V-6's, ls1 V-8's and finally, a supercharged ls-1 and call it a Yanko or something else out of the past.

The GTO interior is nicer and you get 400HP naturally aspirated. Also that car has "HEY TICKET ME!!" plastered all over it. One of the things I like about the GTO is that it is low profile (except the yellow ones of course).

Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger?

When people can write sentences like the one above, it is a sign that, as far as factory performance cars go, times are very, very good. :cool:

Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger?

Kinda like saying only 280hp with a Turbo?

450 out of a 281ci motor isn't too shabby stock, but consider you're bolt on's away from 600+ horsepower. I have a few of those in my car club. I agree the GTO is a nice ride, but this is the first car I can think of since the GNs that can get some AWESOME power out of so few modifications. Excluding putting nitrous on a car (which can be done to the Cobras too) but that's a mute point.

Only 450 horsepower with a supercharger? Thats only fifty more than a regular old 05 GTO.

Why based your criticism on only one measurement - peak horsepower? What about the shape and area under the torque curve? I don't know becauase I haven't see it, or that of the GTO, but I'd be willing to bet that this new Shelby's torque curve looks a lot more appealing than that of the GTO.

It's that entire cure that matters. If all that mattered was peak horsepower, then a 2003 Nissan Maxima with 255 horsepower would beat a '87 GN with only 245 peak horsepower (assuming the weights of both vehicles were similar).

I Think I will take the car with the 450 factory HP and:

The one with a forged bottom end and.....
The one that is already set up compression wise for forced air induction and....
The one that will have a MUCH better resale value and...
The one that doesn't look like a Grand Prix and...
The one that is built in the USA

The motor is quite a bit different than the GT. It has an iron block, wet sump oiling, cracked metal rods, etc. It does share the same heads, piston rings, rod bearings, and I think the crank. I don't see the motor in the prototype Shelby having the same strength as the GT piece. Of course, it is just a prototype, so things can always change. Right now, the motor more-closely resembles an improved Triton V8 out of the trucks.

Originally posted by ViciousV6
The motor is quite a bit different than the GT. It has an iron block, wet sump oiling, cracked metal rods, etc. It does share the same heads, pistons, and I think the crank. I don't see the motor in the prototype Shelby having the same strength as the GT piece. Of course, it is just a prototype, so things can always change. Right now, the motor more-closely resembles an improved Triton V8 out of the trucks.

guys have been taking the 03-04 svt corba's and making 600hp with no internal mods...just better blowers and fuel upgrades..
the 06 will be a bigger motor,so i think it will make 500hp with very little work...BTW..the Ford GT runs 133mph quarters stock...and tops out at 201....

I am very well-aware of what the 03 Cobras have been doing. I was simply stating that I don't see the bottom end holding much more power than the current 4.6 in the 03/04 Cobras. As a matter of fact, the cracked metal I-beam rods in the Shelby may hold less power than the forged Manley H-beams that are in the 03/04 Cobras. It also looks like an electronically controlled EGR and clutch-operated blower pulley will make it much more difficult to tune.

I think the car is great. I just don't think the car is going to be $1000 dollars away from 700rwhp, like some people seem to think. The larger displacement and better blower will net serious gains, but the lack of a better bottom end will prevent it from going much farther than the current 4.6 w/out internal mods.

I wonder what kind of Horsepower the shelby will really put down....I dont see Only 450Hp anywhere in that article.....I see OVER 450 Stated throughout the entire article.

And as far as the GTO goes...The only upside is,if you can put up with spending that type of $$ on a car that looks like that...You should be able to get a good deal on one since they are sitting in bunches at all the Pontiac dealerships

Just my opinion....(except the sitting in bunches part...That is fact....;) )

And this car is going to sticker for what? $40k?
Then add the fact that dealers are going to mark them up....
What are you going to have to throw down to drive one away? :rolleyes:

Odds are...no thanks.

Wow, Ford Nation has spoken!

Man I'm sorry I got such a rise out of the Ford guys, I thought I logged onto TurboBuick.com not Ford Motorsports.com! Just kidding guys;)

Remember the cobraJet Mustangs....They advertised a lot less power than reality, for insurance reasons....Be smart :)

People have been saying for a while now that the current Cobra is seriously underrated for hp at the flywheel and that people have been making 360+ at the wheels with the thing stock.

I wonder if they're gonna burn to the ground while they sit in your driveway like the other Ford products? :confused:

Hopefully cruise control is an option. :p