For those running Be Cool radiators...

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I have a BeCool radiator for my 87 Buick Grand National. Everything lines up fine, but the problem I have is where the 4 rubber bushings are. Let me elaborate, when installing the stock radiator, where the ends of the tanks were, they fit into these rubber bushings (2 on top and 2 on the bottom) The Be Cool radiators have 2 little blocks welded to the top. However, they just seem a little too tall. It is really hard for me to clamp the radiator hold down plate and it will not tighten down flat because of it. Am I supposed to install the radiator without the bushings? And on the bottom, is it supposed to just sit flat? I would think I could try to cut the blocks down, but I did not want to ruin the radiator. Thanks for any help.

Scott

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure how to help you. I would say pull the stock bushings/bumpers out but that would not be a good idea due to the vibrations that would cause if the radiator was metal to metal contact. Is the radiator fitting down snug into the bushings? If they are off a little bit it will cause problems with the radiator hold down plate not being able to attach properly.

Its as snug as it will go, and I checked fitment. It acts as if its too tall. The bottom of the radiator really doesnt have anything on it to sit in the bushings, so not sure about that part.

When I installed a gbody aluminum radiator in my 87 I had to modify the cushions to get a tight and solid fit. This was done with a grinder on the cushions and several fitups. I believe you are experiencing the same situation and would suggest that you consider the same solution.

I have a Be Cool rad in my Cutlass. The top plate wouldn't fit. I made 2 brackets that bolt to the core support to hold the top, and didn't use the top plate. This made me angry several years ago when I did this, because I paid a lot of $ for that thing that was supposed to bolt right in.:mad:

I had the same problem. I called Be Cool and sent pics of the problem as this was suppose to be a drop in replacement and it wasn't. I ended up sending it back. This was about 3 years ago. Sorry to hear they still have not fixed it yet.

Scott, I had the same problem your having when I installed one in a guys car here. I ground the top square pieces down and also cut the bushings down to get the damn hold down plate to mount flush or level.

I just posted a question on a new thread which is similar, but not the same exact problem.
My problem is not up and down, but front to rear fit.
But still, the end result is the factory hold down plate (or the BeCool radiator - chose your poison) - is not working.
Perhaps someone can peek at my thread and opine on that issue?